Saturday, 27 December 2014

West Auckland 0 Dunston UTS 0

27th Decemebr 2014
Northern League Division One 1
West Auckland 0
Dunston UTS 0
Att 261

For the final game of 2014, Dunston travelled to South West Durham to face West Auckland Town, their opponents in the 2012 FA Vase Final. The weather was cold and crisp but the pitch was deemed playable, although it looked as though the surface would cut up. Manager Billy Irwin had several injury issues with Andrew Bulford nursing a hamstring strain as well as long-term absentees Craig Hodgson, David Scorer and Liam Connell. Gareth Williams was also unavailable but Nicky Kane returned to the squad.

The West Auckland side were managed by Andy Toman for the first time and the League leaders fielded a strong squad. The game started at a furious pace with some fierce challenges going in as both sides fought for possession and superiority. Dunston got the first real chance of the game on 7 minutes as Gary Ormston crossed to Dan Wilson who fell to the ground under pressure from West centre-half Adam Wilkinson, somehow he managed to swing his foot and play the ball into the centre of the box but no Dunston players were able to capitalise. West replied with a testing Josh Rowbotham free-kick which was headed clear by Stephen Harrison and then a minute later a West corner, taken by David Gordon, was safely claimed by keeper Andy Clark to alleviate the danger. On 14 minutes Lee McAndrew received a good ball from Dan Wilson and seeing the West keeper off his line, chipped a clever shot towards the top right corner only for Dan Lowson to recover and save near the angle of his goal.

On 21 minutes West were awarded a hotly disputed penalty when Alex Francis fell in the right corner of the area even though there was little or no contact from Luke Gilhespy. Robbie Briggs stepped up but hammered the kick high over the angle of bar and post. On 25 minutes Stephen Harrison swung in a dangerous corner-kick which was headed clear at the front post. Two minutes later a West free-kick taken by David Gordon fell to Alex Francis who fired wide from 25 yards. The game continued as a real battle in midfield and when play approached either goal, both defences stayed in charge and restricted clear-cut scoring chances to a minimum. On 42 minutes Dale Burrell was set up in front of goal 18 yards out by a fine pass by Dan Wilson but his powerful shot was blocked and cleared.
Half-time score:  0 - 0
The teams started the second-half in the same combative mood as the first with no quarter asked or given. West had the first chance as Mattie Moffat got on the end of a Steven Richardson cross but his header was well saved by Andy Clark. On 50 minutes Dale Burrell played in left-back Dan Halliday who continued his run and  hammered in a great low shot but keeper Dan Lowson was equal to it.

On 55 minutes Lee McAndrew dribbled into the box where he received a callous challenge from Brian Close, fair in the opinion of the Referee, the ball was fed out to Dan Wilson who crossed and Gary Ormston's header went wide of the front post. On 57 minutes Steven Richardson fired over the bar after being played through and a minute later Colin Larkin dribbled into the box and his deflected cross again fell to Richardson whose shot went high over the bar.

On 60 minutes Dale Burrell's free-kick went into the wall and rebounded to Stephen Harrison who crossed for a Dan Wilson diving header which went narrowly wide. On 64 minutes the hard working Dan Smith was played in on the right-wing, his cross was blocked and came out to Dale Burrell who shot just wide of the target. From the goal-kick Mattie Moffat was played in but good defending by Luke Gilhespy and Dan Halliday ensured his cross was cleared for a corner. From the corner the ball fell to Adam Wilkinson who steadied himself and then shot high over the bar. A minute later Gary Ormston played in Dan Smith but a strong tackle by Adam Wilkinson prevented his shot. On 67 minutes a Stephen Harrison cross was only partially cleared and after a tremendous scramble in the home goal area the ball fell to Dale Burrell but his low cross was hacked clear.

From a Dan Smith corner on 71 minutes, Lowson dropped the ball but the Dunston players in close attendance were unable to force home before Lewis Galpin cleared. On 74 minutes Colin Larkin dribbled into the Dunston area and crossed to the incoming Robbie Briggs who side-footed his shot which was blocked and cleared. The game continued at break-neck speed from end-to-end without any real scoring chances being created and the contest finished as an honourable draw.
Full-time:  West Auckland  0   Dunston UTS  0
Dunston Man of the Match: Dale Burrell – Dale’s overall performance saw him turn up in all positions on the field, both wings, up front, in midfield and defence and his distribution was first class on most occasions. This was however a team performance with all members of the team playing their parts throughout the game to achieve their hard-earned point.
West Auckland: Lowson, Rowbotham, Gordon, Galpin, Wilkinson, Close, Larkin, Briggs, Moffat (Fowler), Francis, Richardson. Subs not used: Tait, Gibson.

Dunston UTS: Clark, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Cattanach, Gilhespy, Smith (Kane), Ormston, Wilson (Wightman), Dixon, McAndrew. Subs not used: Coulson, Bulford, Preen

Referee, D. Wodward, Assistants, M. Bunting, W. Pare.

Today's Results:-
EBAC Northern League
Division One
Billingham Synthonia 2 Jarrow Roofing 0.
Bishop Auckland 1 Newton Aycliffe 0.
Consett 3 Durham City 3.
Crook Town 0 Shildon 11.
Newcastle Benfield 1  North Shields 2.
Penrith 3 Celtic Nation 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment