Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Dunston UTS 4 Stokesley SC 2

Dunston too good for plucky Stokesley

27 January 2015
EBAC Northern League Cup
Dunston UTS 4

Stokesley SC 2

Dunston were back in cup action in the League cup and welcomed second division side Stokesley Sports Club in the League Cup at the Dunston UTS Stadium. Dunston were without Harrison but welcomed back Cattanach at right full back, Clark in goal and Coulson at centre half with Bulford on the bench.
Dunston set off well putting Stokesley under pressure, on 2 minutes Dixon shot wide, 2 minutes later Wilson shot from an angle just over the bar, a minute later had a punt on target which the keeper spilled then recovered before the attackers pounced, on 6 McAndrew played in a cross which Bowman did well to collect low down. Stokesley were awarded free kick 40 yards out Sharples played the ball into the Dunston area and Dixon unchallenged mis directed his clearance past his own keeper into the top corner of the net for a goal to Stokesley after 7 minutes. Dunston reacted immediately as a Wilson shot was palmed away by Bowman and then a Kane cross was headed wide by McAndrew. On 9, Williams had a 30 yard shot which curled away past the far post.

After 11 Grier headed over the Dunston bar from a Marrow corner. After 2 more minutes Wilson got up to head down to Dixon who on the turn volleyed the ball into the net for the equaliser. Dunston still applying the pressure and on 15, Kane fed the ball back to Ormston who shot over the bar. 2 minutes later, a neat exchange between Wilson and Ormston gave Wilson the chance to shoot just over the cross bar. On 18, a Cattanach cross fell to Wilson whose shot on target was blocked. After 22, Dixon had a shot from 15 yards which Bowman saved, a minute later Dunston got their reward as a Halliday cross was met by Wilson whose header up onto the underside of the cross bar was unstoppable and it was 2‐1 to Dunston after 23. On 24 McAndrew fired in a cross which Bowman saved low down. After taking the lead the game seemed to stabilise as Stokesley came back into the game, but after a short respite Dunston were at them again on 33 when McAndrew fed Wilson whose shot was blocked for a corner.

Four minutes later Ormston fed Halliday whose shot went over the bar. Bowman prevent another goal on 42 as he saved a Wilson shot on the turn and then 2 minutes later, Ormston got in a header from a Kane cross which was blocked and cleared. At half time Dunston lead 2 ‐ 1. Wightman replaced Dixon who picked up a knock just before half time and Dunston restructured with Kane taking a more central roll.

On 47 Halliday had a shot which was deflected for a corner. A minute later Wightman was in the action as his low cross was deflected for another corner. From a Halliday corner kick on 50 minutes Cattannach got in header back across goal and Ormston was on hand to flick the ball into the Stokesley net for Dunstons third goal. Dunston were still pressing and on 53 Halliday had a shot saved low down by Bowman, this was followed by a Wightman cross headed back across goal by Wilson but McAndrew was just unable to convert as the ball went wide.

After 63 Kane received a ball from McAndrew and shot high into the net for Dunstons fourth goal. Dunston still continued pressing and on 66 Ormston received a ball on the left from Halliday but his shot was wide of the target. Bulford replaced the limping Williams on 66 and immediately set about trying to add to his season total of goals but the Stokesley defence where being defiant and he was restricted to a shot over the bar from 25 yards out on 73 and then on 85 when Bulford was played in 8 yards out but saw Bowman pull off a save. On 87 Wightman had a shot on target blocked before in a breakaway move Campbell beat the Dunston offside trap and played a shot past the advancing Clark for Stokesley's second goal. Dunston had one further chance when Ormston had a header saved by the excellent Bowman who prevented Dunston from scoring more goals.

Dunston recovered from an early set back to take their place in the next round of the cup at home to Penrith or Morpeth against a plucky Stokesley side who had an excellent goalkeeper who prevented a landslide of goals. This was a useful game for Dunston who did well to keep their composure after an early setback. The team reshuffle after slight injuries to Dixon and Williams was effective and did not hamper
their efforts on the night.

Dunstons Man of the Match: Gary Ormston. ‐ Gary was involved with the game at both ends of the field and his experience and running ability was one of the main features in an effective team performance.

Dunston UTS: Clark, Cattanach, Halliday, Williams (Bulford 66), Coulson, Gilhespy (Scorer 73), Kane, Ormston, Dixon (Wightman 45), Wilson, McAndrew. Subs not used: Connell, Preen.

Stokesley SC: Bowman, Sharples, Marrow, Grier, Calvert, Dunford, Edwards, Leylabi (Rose 68), Dinsdale, Upton, Campbell.. Subs not used: Cole, Gooderham.

Report by T.C.
Next Game.. League Fixture, Dunston UTS v Newcastle Benfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment