Saturday, 14 February 2015

Glossop NE v Dunston UTS

Dunston refuse to be beaten despite being down to 10 again.
Report by Tom Clark
Saturday 14th Febuary 2015
FA Vase – Fifth Round Proper
Final Score: Glossop North End  2  Dunston UTS  2 (aet)
Dunston travelled south again to Derbyshire for a 5th round tie in the FA Vase to play Glossop North End of the Northern West Counties League. Glossop North End (GNE) claim to fame is that they are the smallest town to have a Football League side in the late 1800's. They were also losing finalists in the 2009 FA Vase Final against Whitley Bay. “The Hillmen” are having a good season, currently standing second in the league and doing well in their local cup games. In what promises to be a competitive game Dunston are at almost full strength with only Craig Hodgson and the cup-tied Dan Smith unavailable for selection. The weather has improved from last week but with rising temperatures the rain will make the pitch sticky, a vast difference to the frozen, snow covered pitch of last week.

Glossop started strongly and in the first minute Carey was played through but Connell was alert and collected the ball on the edge of the area. Dunston responded with McAndrew beating his marker and powering in a low cross which was cleared. On 4 minutes a poor clearance by Connell was crossed into the area and Harrison had to head clear. From the corner Young fired high over the cross-bar from 20 yards out. On 6 minutes an under-hit  back-pass from Kane to Connell saw Connell bravely block the ball and from there it was cleared. 2 minutes later a long throw from Halliday fell to Kane but his header was collected by Hall. Play was end-to-end as Glossop’s Lugsden had an effort cleared by Ormston and then a Richardson cross from a free-kick went right across the goal and out for a goal-kick. On 12 minutes Harrison put in a free-kick which was just deflected away from Coulson in the area.

From the corner taken by Halliday an Ormston header went just wide of the far post. On 15 minutes Dixon knocked the ball into the Glossop net after the  keeper had fumbled but it was disallowed when the referee deemed that he had been fouled after he collided with his own centre-half. After a frantic start, play started to settle with both sides still very competitive.

On 20 minutes Bailey met a long cross but his shot was cleared by Dixon. On 22 minutes Burrell attempted a volley from 20 yards which went wide, followed by a neat interchange between three Dunston players saw a shot from Harrison just go wide of the far post. A minute later Blackshaw had an effort which was deflected with Connell unable to prevent the corner.

On 30 minutes Bailey got in a shot which Connell saved. Glossop had a strong penalty claim as Kane challenged a Glossop player in the box but the referee did not give it. On 40 minutes Ormston laid the ball off to Dixon, received the return and his shot just curved away past the far post. A competitive half ended with a Moran shot from 35 yards out which Connell safely collected.
Half-time score:  0 - 0

Dunston got the first chance in the second-half as Burrell lofted a shot over the bar on 49 minutes and then Bulford was played through and his left footed shot went wide of the near post. On 53 minutes a Harrison corner was deflected just over the bar by a defender. The first goal came on 63 minutes when the Glossop defence failed to clear the area and the ball fell to Harrison who drove in a shot which was going wide until Andy Bulford deflected it past a despairing Hall. 1 - 0 to Dunston.

Glossop replied within 2 minutes as Jason Carey appeared to foul Coulson and got a firm header on the end of a Young free-kick and beat Connell in the Dunston goal. 1 - 1.

On 68 minutes McAndrew got in a deep cross which was just too high for the in-rushing Ormston. On 73 minutes the referee made yet another error as he adjudged Gilhespy had fouled Blackshaw in the box when all around saw it as a good challenge with the Glossop wide-man falling over the blocked ball. Gilhespy was dismissed for a second yellow card and Tom Bailey stepped up to confidently score from the spot. 2 - 1 to Glossop.

On 77 minutes Connell had to be alert again and he collected on the edge of his area as Bailey was played through by Richardson. On 78 minutes a long-free kick by Connell into the Glossop area found Coulson but his header was deflected clear by the keeper. On 79 minutes a Glossop shot was blasted in on target but Harrison headed clear. 3 minutes later Dunston were level as Wilson won a ball in the area, his lay off to Kane enabled him to play through to Gary Ormston who side stepped his marker and shot low inside the near post past a startled Hall. 2 - 2.


Glossop’s other Lugsden, Kelvin, got in a low shot-cum-cross on 84 minutes which Connell collected then 2 minutes later Wilson connected to a Harrison free-kick which was cleared. Richardson put in a deep cross into the Dunston area which Harrison cleared. On 90 minutes a long clearance from Connell played in Bulford but his shot beat both the keeper and the far post. With the final whistle looming, Moran had a shot which flew wide before the referee blew to take the game into extra time.

The extra man was proving positive for Glossop as a Lugsden shot was taken by Connell on 93 minutes then Richardson dribbled past 2 men and attempted a chip shot which Connell saved easily. Dunston then had a Wilson drive on target which was blocked before Richardson drove in a shot which Connell first blocked and then collected. Glossop then had a Bailey header saved by Connell on 98 minutes. Dunston came back with a Wilson shot on target after Kane had fed the ball back to him.
As the first-half of extra-time ended Parker tried an overhead kick which Connell tipped over the bar. The final period started with Carey getting in a header which Connell stopped and then Young had a header from a corner which went high over the bar on 110 minutes. Dunston got a free-kick 25 yards out but Burrell blasted his kick into the wall and from the rebound Harrison drove in a shot which went over the bar on 112 minutes. Dunston worked hard to stay in the game as Glossop pushed on against the 10 men and on 115 minutes Hind had shot which went wide of the post and then Bailey shot over the bar from 18 yards with Glossop’s final chance.

Final Score:  Glossop North End  2   Dunston UTS  2
Dunston Man of the Match: David Coulson - a giant in defence protecting his goal from a bombardment of crosses into the area and several important tackles. David was closely followed by his fellow defenders and Michael Dixon and Gary Ormston in midfield.

Glossop North End: Hall, Richardson, Russell, Lugsden (Kelv), Young, Bowler (Parker), Blackshaw (Hind), Carey, Bailey, Lugsden (Keiran) (Grimshaw), Moran. Subs not used: Browne, Turner.
Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, Kane, Ormston, Dixon, Bulford (Wightman), McAndrew (Wilson). Subs not used: Cattanach, Williams, Clark.

Match Pitctures Thx To Andy Nunn Can be Viewed Here

Replay, 21st February 2015, UTS Stadium, 3pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment