Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Dunston UTS 3 Penrith 2.


Report by Billy Montague
Tuesday 3rd March 2015
Brooks Mileson Cup – Fourth Round
Final Score:
Dunston UTS  3  
Penrith  2  (aet)

Dunston were back in Cup Tie action in this League Cup Fourth Round and welcomed fellow First Division side Penrith to the UTS Stadium. Dunston Manager Billy Irwin was without the services of the suspended Luke Gilhespy and Dan Smith who was cup-tied, having played for Hebburn Town in a previous Round. Stephen Harrison and Nicky Kane returned to the starting line-up. Former Dunston player Martyn Coleman led the visitors’ attack in an impressive team that had tasted defeat only once their last eight fixtures against League opposition.

Dunston started with a strong and bitterly cold wind at their backs and although they pushed hard for an early advantage, the conditions were proving difficult for both teams. The home side were tending to over-hit their forward passes and it was Penrith who were putting together some good passing moves. Martyn Coleman had the first real attempt on goal in the 5th minute but his run and shot were easily dealt with by Liam Connell.
Dunston replied three minutes later after a good Lee McAndrew run saw him set-up Nicky Kane whose shot went over keeper Josh Richardson’s bar. Dale Burrell then sent a free-kick from 25-yards wide of the target. Penrith’s Ric Faustino made a probing run on the right on 11 minutes but his dangerous cross was cleared by David Coulson. Dunston opened the scoring on 12 minutes when Dale Burrell made a good run from left to right before cleverly supplying Nicky Kane who advanced and sent a low shot across Richardson and into the net inside the far post. 1–0 to Dunston.

This set-back seamed to spur on Penrith and they mounted several good attacks but the combination of good defending by the home side and the swirling wind meant that their approach play didn’t bring any clear scoring chances until the 16th minute when Connell was forced to turn a swerving Sam Bell shot round his left post. The Dunston keeper was called into action again in the 20th minute to parry a dangerous effort from Coleman with David Scorer completing the clearance. Kane relieved the pressure in the 26th minute when he made a good run on the left but when he made room to shoot, his effort was gathered by Richardson. Lee McAndrew robbed Penrith’s Willie Paul in the 31st minute before going on a tricky run and when he fed the unmarked Andy Bulford, the top-scorer took control before hammering into the top-right corner of the net. 2–0 to Dunston.

Play was switching from end-to-end and Penrith were still very much in the game with Coleman making some strong runs on either flank. Connell made another good save to deny Sam Bell and in the 44th minute he had to be at his best to block a Coleman effort when the centre-forward cut in from the left flank.

Half-time score:  2–0 to Dunston.

Penrith started the second-half determined to take advantage of the elements that were now in their favour and it was no surprise when they grabbed a goal back on 49 minutes. Sam Bell latched onto a loose ball and sent a great pass over the top of the home defence to the hard-running Martyn Coleman who gave Liam Connell no chance with a powerful finish. 2 – 1 to Dunston.

Dunston almost increased their lead in the 58th minute when a Stephen Harrison corner found David Coulson whose header was cleared off the line. In the next minute a Dale Burrell free-kick was met by David Scorer but his header scraped past the upright. Burrell sent a dangerous cross over, then Dan Halliday had a low shot saved by Richardson in the 70th minute.

Penrith were always dangerous but as in the first-half, the wind was proving troublesome with several passes being over-hit. Coleman was proving to be the main threat to the home goal with his willing running and ability to hold off defenders causing Dunston countless problems. There seemed little danger in the 80th minute when Martyn Coleman picked up possession 25 yards from goal on the left flank, but as he made a run across Dunston’s back-line, the defenders backed off and he sent a powerful low shot into the corner of the net. 2–2.

Coleman almost repeated the feat six minutes later, but this time Connell was able to keep the effort out. Andy Bulford almost snatched an unlikely winner for Dunston on 88 minutes when his effort was just too high after good work by substitute Dan Wilson.

Score after 90 minutes:   Dunston UTS  2   Penrith  2

Extra-time saw Dunston with the wind at their backs again and they almost took advantage on 95 minutes when Michael Dixon headed just wide. The breakthrough came two minutes later when Dan Wilson was upended in the box and Andy Bulford stepped up to despatch the resultant penalty. 3 – 2 to Dunston.

On 110 minutes Connell made a fine save to deny Coleman with Harrison completing the clearance and right at the death Dan Wilson made a great run but his effort brushed a post with the unmarked Bulford screaming for a pass. Penrith went close with efforts from Jake Smith and Aaron Kelly but Dunston held on.

Dunston Man of the Match: Dale Burrell – He was always willing to get on the ball in a very hard fought match and was willing to try to make things happen.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Coulson, Scorer, Kane (Wilson), Ormston, Dixon, Bulford, McAndrew (Wightman). Subs not used: Clark, Williams, Cattanach.

Penrith: Richardson, Paul, Smith, Davidson, Little, Street (Irving), Kelly, Jackson, Coleman, Bell (Cham), Faustino (Pickthall). Subs not used: Newton.
Referee, Paul Keogh.
Assistants, Tom Chambers, Tom Armstrong.
Next Game, Away to Whitley Bay, League fixture, 7th March 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment