Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Dunston work hard and then sucker punched

22nd September 2015
EBAC Northern League Division 1
Dunston UTS  0 

Shildon  1

Dunston welcomed Shildon to the Dunston UTS Stadium for the EBAC Northern League Division 1 game. Shildon have had a good start to the season and are currently in Top position although clubs below them have games in hand. Manager Billy Irwin makes changes from Saturdays win as Halliday and Smith return from injuries, but Burrell is still on holiday.

Shildon started brighter and after 5 minutes got a corner which Connell collected, Dunston replied with an interchange between Morien, Thear and Richardson which broke down as Morien strayed off side. Another Shildon corner on 7 minutes was cleared and again Dunston broke with Richardson crossing the park to Thear, who advanced into the area and was strongly tackled, Thear went over but no penalty award was given. The game was flowing from end to end with both defences holding firm.

On 12, a Francis cross was cleared as far as Thear whose shot was blocked and bounced easily to Graham. 2 minutes later Richardson crossed and Briggs bravely went in for a header, on target but Graham collected, receiving a bang for this efforts. On 15 Morien beat one defender but as he shot it was blocked and Graham collected, a minute later Francis played a ball through to Briggs sending him clear, Briggs crossed behind Richardson instead of shooting on target and the move broke down.
A minute later Pearson crossed and Richardson headed over the bar. On 18, a Halliday free kick from the halfway line went across the Shildon goal and out of play. On 20 Francis raced through the Shildon defence but was unable to release his shot on target, a minute later a Pearson shot struck a defender and Graham was relieved to see the ball go safely past his near post, from the corner by Francis to the back post was only just cleared as Morien attacked. On 26, Francis tried a shot from 18 yards but watched as it cleared the bar, 2 minutes later Briggs went down the right wing beat his defender but was quickly challenged preventing his shot.
On 30 Shildon applied pressure on the Dunston defence but a clearing header by Pearson was good relief. On 33, Briggs again raced at the Shildon defence and was only prevented from shooting by a good late challenge by Ellison putting it out for a corner. A minute later Richardson crossed and the attempted clearance fell to Francis who was only able to poke a shot straight at Graham. On 36, Briggs applied a powerful swerving shot with the outside of his right foot which was only saved one handed by Graham diving to his right, 3 minutes later Briggs was fouled again by Ellison near the by-line and Francis’s free kick was headed over at the back post by Wilkinson.
On 42 Wilkinson made a defensive clearance from a Shildon corner before Thear went on a run at the Shildon defence, before passing to Morien whose shot was deflected for a corner. After good first half by Dunston, Shildon were fortunate to find the half time score still level at 0-0

After the interval both sides had to wait for the officials to start the game and it was Dunston who got the first chance as on 49, Francis put in free kick which Morien met and shot was deflected and went just over the bar, from the corner Richardson headed inches over the bar. Shildon replied with a shot by Wood which was cleared by Gilhespy, Wood again had another shot on 52 which was blocked and went out for a corner. At the other end on 54 Richardson and Thear combined before Thear had a shot which was blocked.
On 55, Shildon almost took the lead except for a good double save by Connell first from Wood and then from Gruelich-Smith at opposite ends of his goal. On 56 Connell collected a Shildon free kick into his area before Pearson on 58 crossed and Morien applied a header which struck the post, but the referee adjudged he had pushed the backing on defender. On 59 Groves broke on the right wing, Halliday was his equal and blocked his cross into the area before Briggs played across right across the Shildon goal and out of play. On 65, Thear was fouled 20 yards out Thear recovered to take the kick which was blocked by a 5 man wall much to Gruelich-Smith stomach, the rebound fell to Thear who shot wide.
On 67 Shildons’ Gruelich-Smith fed Robson who shot over the bar before Smith fed Thear at the opposite end, which was also shot over the bar. 2 minutes later Shildon were down to 10 men as Wood was sent off after disagreeing voraciously with the referee’s decision not to award a penalty as Connell challenged Robson. Dunston applied their advantage of the extra man and on 74 a move between Richardson and Morien only broke down through a timely challenge cutting out a Richardson pass.
On 76 Briggs let loose a shot after a run into the Shildon area from the halfway line, which Graham saved. On 84 a ball out from the Shildon area was played to Smith 20 yards out his shot beat all and struck the bottom of the left hand post and cleared the goal. On 85 Shildon got a rare chance as, just on, substitute Harwood got a head to a long free kick which Connell collected.

On 87 after a poor defensive pass Connell cleared as Fryatt raced in on him, with the ball up past the halfway line the referee saw that Fryatt and Connell were continuing their discussion and Connell was seen to push Fryatt, The referee stopped play and awarded a penalty and after a discussion with his assistant cautioned Connell. From the resulting penalty Hudson placed the ball as Connell dived in the opposite direction for 1-0 to Shildon which was more than they deserved. Dunston applied the pressure in the closing minutes and on 89 Briggs shot over the bar, with added time being played Richardson had a shot parried clear by Graham before the referee called time up.

Dunston controlled the game for at least 70 % of the game reducing Shildon to a rare opportunity in their box, but did not have the finishing touch despite having many shots on target and very close to the target. A rash moment for Connell on 87 minutes however put this game to bed as Shildon gratefully accepted the opportunity to score from a penalty awarded for a silly push in the area when the ball was in the Shildon half, no question about the award but the consequences were dire for the Dunston players who had worked their socks off for the full 90 minutes and reduced Shildon to also rans, but that’s Football and Life, as something can always happen to change the result of the game

Final Score: Dunston UTS 0  Shildon 1

Dunston’s Man of the Match: Dan Smith – Dan worked hard in midfield giving support both in defence and attack and challenging hard in midfield. On a night as the whole team performances were superb and only marred by one stupid action.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Pearson, Halliday, Smith, Wilkinson, Gilhespy, Briggs, Francis, Richardson, Morien Thear (Fisher 78). Subs not used: Clark, Dixon, Martindale, Hodgson.

Shildon: Graham, Groves (Wing 90) Ellison, Moore, Brown, Jones, Robson, Hudson, Connor (Fryatt 78), Wood, Gruelich-Smith (Harwood 84). Subs not used Rae, Davis.

Attendance 254.

Match Pictures.. Can be viewed here >>

Referee, D.Fitzpatrick, Assisitants, S. Ross, M. Burrows.

Report by T.C.

Next Home Game.
EBAC Northern League - Dunston UTS vs Consett on Saturday 17th October 2015 3:00 KO


No comments:

Post a Comment