Saturday, 23 April 2016

Dunston beat Ashington 3-1

Northern League D1
23rd April 2016
Ashington 1
Dunston UTS 3

Dunston travelled again to Ashington to play their third EBAC Northern League game in 5 days, in the newly developed stand at Woodhorn Lane. Dunston were again hit by unavailable players, Dale Burrell and Alex Francis injured, Matty Fisher suspended, Gary Shaw and James Luccock away, leaving Manager Billy Irwin a bare 15 players to select his side from. The Ashington side included ex Dunston stalwart players Michael Dixon and Andy Bulford who signed earlier this season

Dunston started with a strengthening wind behind them and on 3 minutes had their first shot when a Smith lay off to Bowey resulted in a shot which forced a save from Conor. Before Ashington could get into their stride and the game they went behind as Malky Morien struck an 18 yard shot into the net after a Richardson shot had rebounded off Conor. Ashington steadied and on 12 Bulford had a shot deflected for a corner. After a failed Dunston attack through Richardson being offside, Ashington went close as Connell had to collect a cross from a free kick by Downey.

On 24, Thear played in Richardson whose shot was parried by Conor and Guerin shot from the rebound was deflected clear of the goal. Ashington got an equaliser on 25 minutes from a Downey corner and was headed by Dixon into the goal despite hitting Wilkinson. Dunston rallied but shots from Liddle and Thear were off target. On 30 minutes, Smith got in a header which Conor collided with Taylor when collecting the ball. On 33, Johnson shot across the Dunston goal which was met by an offside Grieve. On 37, with the Ashington defence trying to clear their lines from a corner, the ball fell to Guerin whose scrambled shot went into the net.

Within a minute, the Dunston defence were scrambling to clear their lines but Ashington failed to take advantage as Wilkinson cleared. Dunston continued to forage forward prompted by the energetic Bowey in midfield and on 41, Thear got in a cross which was cleared by Harmison as Richardson challenged. Just on half time, Downey put in across which Connell claimed well to clear the danger.

Half Time score: Ashington 1 Dunston UTS 2

At the start of the second half Dunston forced a corner as a Bowey cross was headed out of play, but Ashington were soon on the attack as Stevens dribbled into the box only to be tackled and the ball was cleared. On 49, an Ashington free kick from 25 yards out fell to Harvey whose shot went straight into Connell’s arms. On 52, Morien collected a ball on the edge of the box turned and travelled to his right for 5 yards and the played a low right foot shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net for 3-1 to Dunston.

3 minutes later Richardson drove a shot across the Ashington goal and Grieve cleared his lines for a corner, from the corner a Morien glancing header was cleared from the back post. A minute later Dan smith chased a ball into the Ashington box only to see his attempt played out for a corner, from the corner Guerin got in a header which went just wide of the near post. As the wind strengthened and the temperature dropped Ashington went down to 10 men as Dixon limped off with a hamstring injury just after Ashington had used their 3rd substitute. As Dunston took their foot of the pedal Ashington’s 10 men fought on as Stevens turned and shot just wide of the target from 18 yards out.

On 72, Harmison was in the Dunston area to head goalwards but over the bar. Dunston again prompted by Bowey pushed forward and on 82 minutes following a Morien miskick, Guerin had a shot which was parried by Conor who had to race back to his line to prevent the ball crossing the line. Dunston ended strongly and as the game went into added on time, Morien jinxed his way into the box only for his shot to hit Conor and be cleared.

Full-time Score: Ashington 1 Dunston UTS 3

Dunston Man of the Match: Steven Bowey – Steven prompted and probed all game creating chances for the Dunston forwards, showing the energy of youngster in his older legs. Hard working Dan Smith and the forward runs from Richardson and Guerin gave Dunston a good advantage while the defence battled hard to contain the Ashington attacks. Dunston overall played well enough and deserved their victory and 3 points.

Ashington: Conor, Taylor, Dunn, Dixon, Harmison (J), Grieve (Christenson 59), Harvey (Oliver 50), Downey, Stevens, Bulford, Johnson (Scott 50) Subs not used: Bell, Harmison B.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Pearson, Liddle (Gilhespy 78), Bowey, Capewell, Wilkinson, Thear (Haliday 77), Smith, Richardson, Morien, Guerin Bowey.  Subs not used: Clark, Martindale.

Next Dunston home game v Morpeth, Saturday 30 April 2016, 3:00 pm KO

Report by T.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment