Saturday, 27 September 2014

Dunston UTS 1 Spennymoor Town 4

Knocked Out Of FA Cup

27th September 2014

Dunston UTS  1   

Spennymoor 4 

Att.. 538

Dunston UTS entertained Spennymoor from the Evo Stik North First Division in the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Cup with prize money of £4500 going to the victors. Manager Billy Irwin welcomed back Andrew Bulford and Scott Fenwick but was still without long term injury victim Craig Hodgson.

Spennymoor were first to attack and they had Dunston on the back foot with several balls into the box causing problems. It came as no surprise when they took the lead in 5 minutes when Roberts was able to cross into the box and Peacock side footed past a helpless Connell from six yards. This was a boost for the visitors as they forced the home side back into their own half but Coulson and Gilhespy did well to control the dangerous Henderson and Roberts. Dunston managed to force their way back intoi the game and a Bulford cross just eluded the on rushing Burrell. The game was now very even and Burrell saw a fine effort go just over the bar with the keeper beaten.
On 20 minutes Wilson and Burrell produced some fine play and when the cross came in Ormston was desperately unlucky to see his fine volley just clear the bar. Play became very even with Spennymoor still dangerous and Dodds almost made it two but his effort was wide. However disaster struick for Dunston when a Dunston defender lost the ball in his own half and Roberts raced clear to send a cross shot past Connell to put his side two up and leaving Dunston a mountain to climb.

Half Time Dunston UTS 0 Spennymoor 2

The second half began with Dunston attacking and Bulford had a fine shot saved before Burrell fired just wide of the goal. Just as it seemed that Dunston had came out to take the game to Spennymoor disaster struck once again with a defensive blunder. A harmless punt up field was gatehered by a Dunston defender who played the ball back to his keeper. However Henderson had anticipated the back pass and he was left with an easy task of slotting the ball past Connell in the home goal. The tie looked well over for Dunston as the visitors took control but a header from Coulson was just over the bar.

In the 70th minute Bulford threw the home side a lifeline when he controlled the ball before firing a great effort over the visiting keeper and into the net. If Dunston were thinking of a comeback then some appalling defending after 75 minutes allowed Griffiths and Henry to combine for Roberts to head home Griffiths cross. At four goals to one down the game was now over for Dunston. A late flurry from the home side failed to produce any further goals although Fenwick and Bulford went close.

Final Score Dunston UTS 1 Spennymoor Town 4

This was a game where Dunston contributed to their own downfall with some poorv defending gifting Spennymoor three goals. However Spennymoor were the much better team and their work rate when they did not have the ball was top drawer and they had quality when in possession.  Dunston can have no complaints in the result.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Coulson, Gilhespy,  Shaw (G)(Craggs), Shaw(S) (Fenwick), Burrell, Dixon, Ormston, Bulford, Wilson (Wightman) Subs not used: Kane, Clark,

Spennymoor: McHugh,Griffiths,Mason,Dodds,Tait,Capper,Stephenson,Henry(Graydon), Henderson, Roberts (Johnson), Peacock (McAndrew) Subs not used: Johnson, Sayer,

MOM Dunston UTS: Luke Gilhespy
MOM Spennymoor: Liam Henderson

Referee, Tony Peart, Assistants.. Liam Hewitt, Neil Howlett.

Report by MJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment