Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Dunston UTS 2 Consett 1

Wilson brace sets up Dunston Cup Victory...

23rd September 2014,
League Cup Round 1
Dunston UTS 2 (Wilson 2)
Consett 1
Attendance 263

Dunston entertain Consett in the EBAC Northern League Cup First Round tie which sees both sides playing well in the league Dunston in 7th (18 points) and Consett in 11th (15 points) after 8 games played and with games in hand on the teams above them. Recent games between the sides have proved to be competitive although not high scoring.
Consett were beaten 2-0 last Saturday away to Ashington whilst Dunston had a hard earned rest due to Celtic Nation playing in the Cumbrian FA cup game. Dunston will have a full squad except Hodgson who is recovering from a knee injury sustained against Crook Town but as expected some players may be rested for Saturdays big game in the FA Cup.

Dunston started steadily and got a corner in the first minute which was taken by Harrison to the back post where Dixon headed back across goal and Craggs applied a header just over the bar. 2 minutes later Craggs met a ball on the left and shot just wide of far post from 20 yards. Consett won their first corner on 4 minutes and Gray played the ball right across the Dunston goal and safety. On 11 Burrell played through to Wilson who played back to Halliday whose shot was taken by the  Consett goalkeeper Elliott. 3 minutes  later Ormston got a header in from a Craggs cross, then Craggs had a 25 yard shot saved by Elliott. Dunston were winning the midfield battle and creating opportunities restricting Consett to breakaways.
On 24, Guerin-Lakonga was fouled 20 yards out by Coulson, Grey placed the free kick well over the bar. On 25 Wilson broke through the Consett defence advanced into the box and placed a shot wide of the advancing Elliott into the net for 1-0 to Dunston. Consett replied with Moore racing down the right wing only to be matched and marshalled by Halliday for a corner. On 30 Kane crossed and found Craggs on the edge of the box, he was tackled and the ball went out to Dixon whose dipping shot went just over the bar, a minute later Guerin-Lakonga won a corner off Halliday's shins, the corner was cleared by Coulson and then Craggs. On 32, Craggs crossed for Kane but the defender just cleared as he attempted to make contact. Again on 37, Craggs crossed for Kane at the back post, but he was unable to get control of the ball.
On 40 Craggs was fouled 20 yards out by ex. Dunston player Smith, Halliday placed the free kick just over the bar. On 43 Consett applied pressure on the Dunston box, but the defence was holding firm and protected their goal. A minute later Kane broke from his own half and took on the defence only to stumble before he could get his shot in. just before the half time whistle Wilson was played into the box by Kane only to put his shot wide of the near post.

Half Time Score: 1-0

Consett came out in the second half obviously revved up by their half time talk, on 49, Guerin-Lakonga was played in but Gilhespy played it out for a corner, from the corner kick played into the back post Connell failed to clear effectively and Madden knocked the ball into the net from 8 yards for the equaliser. Consett still revved up and spurred on by their goal continued to press Dunston and on 52, Nichols advanced into the box and shot wide of the near post, then on 54 Guerin-Lakonga had a header across goal and past the far post. Dunston came out of their half time slumber on 55 when Craggs played in a shot which rebounded to Wilson 15 yards out, a good shot was firmly hammered, by Wilson, into the Consett net for 2-1 to Dunston.
On 58, Wilson looking for his hat trick had  a flick on a Harrison free kick saved by Elliott. A minute later a Halliday cross was rebounded to himselfp, his second attempt was taken by Elliott out of the air. On 60, Kane and Wilson combined on the right of goal to allow Kane a shot which Elliott deflected wide of the near post. Dunston were back in control as. Consett introduced fresh legs, on 68 Consett rallied and Guerin-Lakonga had an 18 yard shot go wide of the post, before Galloway shot from 35 yards which Connell saved low down. On 69, Guerin -Lakonga had a shot from 40 yards out which went over the bar. Wightman on as sub for Kane  put in across for Burrell header on 70 which was saved by Elliott. On 75, Smith for Consett had a free kick saved by Connell.
The game was being settled to a midfield challenge as both sides vied for attacking positions and on 85 Wilson was played in down the left wing but was just unable to out sprint his marker in his attempt for his third goal. On 86 Wightman headed over a cross from Gary Shaw, before Burrell was fouled in midfield by Grey who was cautioned. As the game approached closure Wightman had a deep cross just go past the far post.

Final Score: Dunston UTS 2  Consett  1

Summary, Dunston maintained control over a good and competitive Consett side, with main difference being the shooting boots of Wilson, Burrell and Dixon battled effectively in midfield and Coulson an. Gilhespy were prominent in keeping the C onset attack at bay. Overall it was a good run out before the FA cup game on Saturday and hopefully no major knocks to the Dunston side.

Dunston Man of Match:  Dan Wilson, his scoring goals and effective control of ball into the Consett half set Dunston up for their win. Dale Burrell in midfield ran a close second for the honour in an overall good team performance.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, Kane (Wightman 68), Ormston, Wilson, Dixon, Craggs (Shaw (G) 83).    Subs not used:  Clark, Burns, Preen.
Cautions, Davy Coulson.

Consett: Elliott, Slocombe (Bell 75), Eccles, Chapim (Wright 67), Galloway, Madden, Moore (Sullivan 75), Smith, Guerin-Lakonga, Gray, Nichols.    Subs not used: Bowey, Mackay.

Next game, Dunston are at home to Spennymoor on Saturday 27 September 2014 in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round. 3:00 pm kick off.

Referee, R. Welch.
Assistants, S. Dail, S. Beresford.

Tonights Other Results..

ENL Division One..
Marske 3 North Shields 2
Whitley Bay 3 Ashington 4

Brooks Mileson Northern League Cup first round
Billingham Town 1 Team Northumbria 4
Celtic Nation 1 Sunderland RCA 4
Durham City 1  Ryton and Crawcrook 2 
Hebburn 3 Chester-le-Street 2
Jarrow Roofing 1 Alnwick 0,
Ryhope CW 4 Northallerton 1
Tow Law 1  Brandon 0,
West Auckland 3 Esh Winning 0

No comments:

Post a Comment