Sunday, 14 September 2014

Marske United 2 Dunston UTS 2

Connell contributes towards a competitive draw in cup

13 September 2014. 
FA Cup First Qualifying Round
Marske United  2 
Dunston UTS 2
Attendance 281

Dunston are on their travels down the North Eastern coast to fellow EBAC Northern League side Marske for both sides third games encounters in the 2014/15 FA Cup season. Dunston teams beat Durham City, a fellow Northern League team and Marske beat Armthorpe in the previous round and both sides have started their  league season in a winning fashion, Marske are currently unbeaten with 16 points from 6 games while Dunston have 18 points from 8 games having started the season with defeats at home to Marske 3 - 1 and Shildon 4 - 2, in their first two games but since then they have won 8 games in a row and are currently in first position in the league with Marske in 3rd place.

Today's game promises to be a competitive game especially if Dunston carry their current winning form and produce a performance like their last game against  recent league leaders Bedlington Terriers. Manager Billy Irwin is without the injured Craig Hodgson  and Jonny Wightman who is unavailable due to other commitments but otherwise has a good squad of players available for selection. 

Marske started strongly and and on 3 minutes Owens failed to capitalise on some indecision in the Dunston defence as he dribbled in the box and shot wide. a minute later  a Gott corner was headed back across the Dunston goal and wide. On 6 Dunston attacked with Dan Halliday cross being played in but it was too high for the forwards to connect. 2 minutes later another cross from Halliday was just too high for Bulford to direct on target. On 10, Steven Shaw played in to the area  causing confusion as Fenwick challenged, but his prodded shot went over the bar.
A minute later Burrell won the ball in midfield, advancing, with the ball too the edge of the box he released a shot which Dean saved. On 13, Fenwick was played into the box, just as Bulford was fouled, the referee played advantage, but under challenge from Hollingsworth he lost possession before he could shoot. Marske were very competitive in midfield and up front, putting the Dunston defence to be on their toes. On 15 MacDonald picked up a loose ball and shot wide. On 18, Kelly crossed and MacDonald header was palmed over the bar by Connell. A minute later Owens had a shot blocked by Gihespy.
On 21, Marske took the lead as Hollingsworth picked up a clearance by Gilhespy from a corner and unleashed a shot into the top left corner of the Dunston net as Connell bravely collided with the post trying to save. 1-0 to Marske. On 23,  a cross from Bulford, was met by Shaw but the header went wide of the near post. On 25, a Harrison free kick into the area was cleared, a minute later, a Bulford cross from the left went right across the Marske goal, another minute later Burrell had a dipping shot from 20 yards which went just over the bar. After 35 Bulford had a shot from 30 yards go over the bar and on 37, Fenwick turned in the box but the ball was cleared for a corner before he shot.
Dunston got their equaliser from that corner taken by Stephen Harrison, the corner was played into the top far corner of the net past a disillusioned defence. 1 - 1 the score but not for long as Fenwick turned again with the ball and proceeded into the box before he was fouled from behind, Fenwick got up and sent the kick past Dean who dived the wrong way, 2 - 1 to Dunston after 39 minutes. On 41 a Harrison free kick was deflected wide for a corner, the Dan Halliday corner was punched clear by Dean.
On 43, Dan Halliday received a soft booking for use of his arms when challenging MacDonald. Gott fired the free kick low past the wall and the near post. In time added on for the Connell injury, the referee awarded a soft free kick by Gilhespy against Owens who went down as though he had been shot on the edge of the area. Owens took the kick and fired an unstoppable shot into the top right hand of the net for the equaliser. 

Half Time Score: 2 - 2

Marske started the second half again on top and when Connell failed to clear a ball outside his box, the ball fell to Owens who this time shot wide of the goal. Two minutes later a Harrison free kick into the area was met by Dixon but he was unable to direct it on target. On 53, Johnston had a go at dribbling past the Dunston defence, but Harrison cleared for a throw in. A minute later Woodhouse forced a save from Connell, Dunston replied with Bulford holding the ball up well only to be fouled by Myers, from the free kick Burrell headed wide. On 59, Ormston played Shaw down the right wing but his looping cross went over the bar. On 64, Owens for Marske put in a cross which was cleared to Johnston whose shot from 25 yards went over the bar.
The game got more competitive and a bit scrappy with some mistakes and on 74 a rash challenge by Halliday on MacDonald on the wing was given a second caution and he was sent off. On 74 Johnston had a shot saved by Connell, four minutes later another Harrison free kick was met by Coulson but the header was saved. Dunston buckled down as Marske pushed forward with the advantage of the extra man, but it was not until the 86 minute when a Woodhouse  header was saved by Connell.
Dunston replied as Burrell passed to Bulford only for the shot to go wide. Marske pushed on again, on 88, Gott had a 30 yard shot saved by Connell and in injury time Woodhouse had a shot blocked and from the rebound Owens also had a shot blocked and cleared. In the third minute of added on time a Harrison corner was punched clear by Dean. Just before the referees final whistle after 5 minutes added time, Owens got a shot on target from 12 yards and Connell again pulled off a fantastic save. 

Final Score: Marske Utd 2  Dunston  UTS 2 

In summary this was a good competitive game between two sides who wanted to win this game, spoilt by some poor refereeing decisions, the game swung from end to end with some good chances created at both ends, there were three good goals well taken and entering the nets at impossible positions to prevent them. After the sending off Dunston were under extreme pressure but held on to earn a good draw with some courageous blocking and saves from Connell

Dunston Man of the Match: Liam Connell apart from one error at the beginning of the second half had a tremendous game with some very good saves which kept his side still in the cup and worthy of another opportunity on Tuesday 16 September 2014 with a 7:30 ko at Dunston UTS Stadium.

Marske United:  Dean, Hillerby (Melvin 86), O'Sullivan, Johnston, Myers, Hollingsworth, Macdonald, Gott, Woodhouse, Owens, Kelly. Subs not used: Riley,  Butterworth, Johnson, Gamble, Crossan.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, Shaw(S), Dixon, Fenwick (Shaw (G) 75), Bulford, Ormston (Kane 80). Subs not used:  Preen, Craggs, Burns, Wilson, Clark.

Next game is at home to Marske United on Tuesday 16 September 2014 in the replay.

Results :-
Saturday September 13th

FA Cup first qualifying round
Ashington 2 Scarborough Athletic 2 (replay Tuesday)
Bishop Auckland 2  Spennymoor Town 3
Newcastle Benfield 3 Bridlington Town 1
Shildon 1 Whitby Town 1 (replay Wednesday)
West Allotment 0 Lancaster City 5
Workington 2 Consett 0

EBAC Northern League Division One
Billingham Synthonia 3 Whitley Bay 5
Celtic Nation 3 Newton Aycliffe 2
Crook Town 2 Bedlington 6
Guisborough 4 Sunderland RCA 1
Jarrow Roofing 1 Morpeth 3
Penrith 0 Durham City 2
West Auckland 2 North Shields 0

No comments:

Post a Comment