Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Dunston UTS 1 Bedlington Terriers 0

Dunston go top with seasons best performance

9th September 2014
Northern League
Dunston UTS 1 (Bulford)
Bedlington Terriers 0
Att.. 273

Dunston entertain Bedlington Terriers at the Dunston UTS Stadium for Dunstons sixth home game in eight league games. Bedlington have had a good start to their season having amassed 16 points from their 9 games played and are currently in top position one point and one place above Dunston with Dunston having 2 games in hand.

So this is An early season top of the league clash between 2 teams who have historic backgrounds in their portfolio although in recent seasons Bedlington have not been competing for top of the league platings. In Dunston last game the successfully defeated Bishop Auckland, by 1-0, one of the potential challengers for the league with a team missing first choice players and the squad was reorganised appropriately. Tonight's game promises to be competitive and manager Billy Irwin has at least Jonny Wightman, Steven Shaw and Danny Craggs are back to bolster his squad in preperation for this game and in his planning for Saturdays FA Cup tie at Marske.

Bedlington started the game from the kick off  with Nellis dribbling through to the Dunston defence, but was blocked before being able to shoot. Dunston steadily got into the game and on 6 minutes Bulford played the ball wide to Gary Shaw, Shaw fed Burrell who again played in Shaw on the wing, Shaws cross was low and across the 6 yard box but no attackers could pounce.
Dunston were getting the dominance in midfield,but Bedlington were still creating breakaways and on 13, Blandford had a 35 yard blast over the cross bar, Dunston replied with Halliday playing into Bulford on the edge of the box, Bulford turned his man and shot wide. On 16, Steven Shaw on the right wing travelled 40 yards, beat his man and put in a cross which was met by Burrell, his header was palmed against the post and back into McCaffertys arms. On 19 Halliday advanced on the Terriers defence played the ball out to Gary Shaw who again crossed deep but no Dunston attackers were able to get a final touch and was cleared.
On 25, Gary Shaw  was fed down the left and his pull back to Halliday gave him room to cross but Bulford was deemed offside. Bedlington were being limited to odd breaks but being thwarted by the strong Dunston defence and midfield and on 27 Harvey had a 35 yard attempt which went wide. Dunston were commanding midfield and spraying the ball around searching for chances against a strong Terrier defence. On 31, Blandford sent a dipping 35 yard free kick just over the bar. 3 minutes later Burrell took a free kick which was blocked, the rebound fell to Gary Shaw whose volley went wide.
On 39 minutes Burrell switched play from left to right in midfield feeding Harrison on the right wing, he in turn played on to Steven Shaw whose cross was met by Bulford in the area with a volley that went into the ground and then into the net giving Dunston a 1-0 lead. Bedlington immediately responded and got the ball into the box but the shot went wide. Dunston regained control of play in midfield up to half time.

 Half Time score  1 - 0

Dunston started well in the second half and on 46 Bulford received a ball from Halliday but his shot was blocked, on 48 Steven Shaw picked up a rebounded clearance and his shot from 20 yards was deflected just over the bar, 3 minutes later Shaw again got a cross into the area and and a puzzled defender inadvertantly back heeled the ball to the safety of McCaffertys arms. Bedlington replied with Williamson getting a 20 yard shot in which Connell handled easily.
Dunston were again controlling midfield and applying pressure on the Bedlington defence and on 65, Steven Shaw crossed and Bulford shot just over the bar, 2 minutes later, Halliday slung in a cross intended for Steven Shaw but McCafferty collected well. On 69 Gary Shaw played into Bulford  whose 25 yard shot was saved, 2 minutes later Bulford received a pass from Steven Shaw, which he returned and Shaw dribbled into the area but his shot was partly blocked and saved.
On 73 Bedligton had a breakaway attack but the Dunston defence was bolstered by the returning midfield to handle the issue and clear their area. On 78, a Gary Shaw free kick into the back post was met by Coulson whose header was saved, 2 minutes later Bulford turned in the area and his snap shot went wide across the goal. Dunston replaced Bulford with Fenwick on 83 and with his first touch Fenwick unleashed a shot that thudded off the bottom of the post.
As the game  approached the final minutes Bedlington were trying for their final push and sub Keelan Nellis had a shot which Connell blocked then pounced on to save, within the final minutes Ellison for Bedlington had 2 attempts, one a 35 harder just over the bar and the other a low shot which Connell saved at the second attempt. Dunston then managed to survive further problems until the final whistle

Final Score  Dunston     1.  Bedlington Terriers  0

Dunston showed true grit and brilliant controlled play to beat an organised and committed Bedlington side. In this game Dunston were the terriers, when ever they lost the ball they were chasing back to successfully defend their area. The Dunston control in midfield has set the very high standard required to maintain their current top of the league position.

Dunston Man of the Match: Steven Shaw for his performance on the right side of midfield both in attack and defending, Stevens display showed the Dunston attitude in that this was a game they were not about to lose. A great team performance as the defence held strong and up front Andy Bulford was providing the outlet and the shots up front, matched by a grafting and probing midfield. 

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Ormston,Coulson, Gilhespy,  Shaw (S), Burrell, Dixon, Bulford (Fenwick 82), Shaw (G) (Wightman 87).      Subs not used: Kane, Craggs, Burns.

Bedlington Terriers:  McCafferty, Harvey, Walker, Davison (Ellison 81), Harmison, Dobson, Blandford, Morton (C), (Winter 81), Young ( Nellis (K) 70), Nellis (J), Williamson.   Subs not used: Morton (K), Scott

Referee, M. Gillespie, Assistants, S. Bulmer, C. Patterson.
Next game is away to Marske in the FA Cup First Round Qualifier on Saturday 13th September 2014

Tonight's League Results..
Ashington 3 Billingham Synthonia 1
Celtic Nation 2 West Auckland 3,
Durham City 2 Newcastle Benfield 1
Whitley Bay 2 Sunderland RCA 1

No comments:

Post a Comment