Saturday, 6 September 2014

Dunston UTS 1 B. Auckland 0

Bishop edged by Improved Dunston Blues Performance

6th September 2014
Northern League Div 1

Dunston UTS 1 (G. Shaw)
Bishop Auckland 0
Attendance 306

Dunston entertain Bishop Auckland at the Dunston UTS Stadium for Dunstons fifth home game in seven league games. Bishops  have had an 4 match victorious start to their season but have been held to 2 draws in the FA cup before progressing with victories in the replays. Both teams have  12 points and currently stand at fourth and fifth in the league with Bishops having a better goal difference. Dunston managed to scrape home victorious in their last league game away to Crook Town with a display that gave Crook several chances to win despite them only having 10 men for almost half of the game.
Dunston, although happy with the win were unhappy to pick up at least two injuries, manager Billy Irwin will be looking for an improved performance from his side today. Dunston are without Hodgson and Bulford, injured in the last game and Steven Shaw wedding, Craggs who is away again and Wightman is unavailable due to cricket commitments leaving the manager with a limited squad.

Dunston started well and for the first 2 minutes Bishops did not get a touch as Dunston sprayed the ball across the field it ended with Wilson lay off to Burrell who shot wide, Bishops worked their way into the game and on 4 minutes Thompson found himself clear in front of goal  8 yards out but Connell did well to save. 2 minutes later Wilson chased down a long ball and crossed but Pocklington collected. On 8 minutes, Burrell played a low cross into Kane at the back post but the all was deflected back to Pocklington. After 14, Gary Shaw had a shot from 35 yards deflected off target for a corner, from Hallidays corner, Coulson headed wide. Bishop replied as Brunskill shot from 20 yards but Connell got behind it and saved.
On 22 Nicholson advanced from defence and his shot went just past the far post. A minute later Brunskill on the edge of the box played a ball in but Halliday was alert and cleared the Dunston area. On 30, Ormston played Kane into the box, his lay off to Gary Shaw was just too strong and went out of play. On 32, Thompson crossed to Butler at the far post, the attentive Coulson just managed to head the ball clear for a corner. 3 minutes later Lawson headed towards goal and Gary Shaw was on hand to clear from the Dunston goal line. On 36, Wilson won a ball in the box and his shot was just wide of the near post, a minute later Ormston fed Shaw on the left and his cross went clear across the Bishops goal, another minute saw Wilson have a shot saved from 18 yards out.
On 40, a Harrison free kick into the box evaded both Dixon and Wilson who failed to make contact in front of goal. A minute later Thompson fed Nicholson for Bishops on the right wing he advanced and his shot went right across the Dunston goal, this was followed by a Burrell shot from 40 yards which went clear of the target before the half time whistle. 

Half Time score  0-0

Bishops started well in the second half and Tarling had a shot on target blocked, a minute later Wilson collected a deflected shot by Shaw only for Pocklington to recover and save the shot. Bishops replied with Brunskill having a shot/ cross right across the Dunston goal. On 52, a Halliday cross was met by Harrison whose shot was deflected for a corner, a minute later Burrell played a ball in for Dixon only for a defender to clear for a corner. On 55, Kane, fed Burrell and his side step created an opportunity which was saved.
Bishops returned with Lane shooting over the ball after he picked up a loose clearance. On 70, Bishops looked to have created the opening goal as Butler rounded Connell only for Harrison to recover, block the shot and clear the Dunston goal area. 3 minutes later Gary Shaw beat his man and shot, Pocklington parried the shot and his defence cleared the lines. On 76 Dunston had several attempts on goal with no joy except when Dixon was free in front of goal and his shot was somehow parried by Pockington  only for the ball to fall to Gary Shaw who side footed home from 4 yards and it was 1-0 to Dunston.
Play continued to be a mid-field battle but the Dunston defence was holding firm with Gilhespy and Coulson containing the Bishops forwards. On 87, Burrell was cautioned for a sliding challenge and then on 90 minutes Tarling for Bishops was cautioned for a foul on Coulson. Dunston kept going to the final whistle and broke away with Burrell, as he released a pass onto Kane, the full back Mathewman scythed him down, the referee played advantage and Kane crossed from the right wing but the ball evaded the on rushing forwards and was cleared down field for another Bishops attack which was thwarted by Coulson who cleared out of play, Only then did the referee caution Mathewman for his dangerous foul play, a minute later the game was ended with Dunston the victors 

Final Score  Dunston 1. Bishop Auckland 0

In a very competitive game both sides were very positive and moving the ball well through midfield with both defences  having to be on their toes. Both teams played well and had opportunities to score in periods of the game and it was hard to believe that neither side had scored. it was however a very even first half and Bishops appeared to be getting on top after the break, but Dunston were not in for lying down and their efforts were rewarded with the goal after a barrage of shots.
Once ahead Dunston held, deservedly, onto their lead despite the attempts by Bishops. All in all it was a very good game for the spectators and a creditable Dunston performance to move them into second place in the league behind the visitors to the UTS stadium on Tuesday night. 

Dunston Man of the Match: David Coulson - today David was a giant in defence alongside Luke Gilhespy, Davids controlled release of the ball following broken up Bishops attacks were numerous and constructive in setting the midfielders to create opportunities at the opposite end. This was a very good team performance in a game which was a credit to both sides. Other main contenders for Dunston included Dan Wilson, Dale Burrell and Gary Shaw.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Ormston,Coulson, Gilhespy, Kane, Burrell, Wilson (Fenwick 65),
Dixon (Cpt), Shaw (G). Subs not used: Clark, Burns, Preen.

Bishop Auckland: Pocklington, Nicholson, Brown (Mathewman 83), Lawson, Woods, Tarling, Thompson (Sakr 78), Megran, Butler, Brunskill ( Hotchkiss 60), Lane,  Subs not used: Dodds, Peel.

Referee :- C. Felton, Assistants, T. Chambers, R. Anderson.

102 Match Pictures View Here

Report by:- T.C.

Next game:- League, Dunston UTS v Bedlington Terriers, 9th September, Kick off 7:30pm

Todays League Results...
Ashington 0 Morpeth Town 2 
Crook Town 0 Billingham Synthonia 7
Durham City 2  Bedlington 3 
Guisborough 5 West Auckland 6
Shildon 2 Newcastle Benfield 1
Whitley Bay 3 Celtic Nation 0

No comments:

Post a Comment