Saturday, 11 October 2014

Dunston UTS 1 Whitley Bay 0

UTS get better of the Bay

11 October 2014
EBAC Northern League Division 1
Dunston UTS. 1 v Whitley Bay 0
Attendance 309

Dunston entertained Whitley Bay at the Dunston UTS Stadium with both sides showing good form which sees them currently in 7th and 8th places. Dunston have 21 points for their 10 games played and Whitley have 20 points from 12 games played. The current league leaders are West Auckland who have 29 points from 13 played.

Fixtures between the two sides have always been competitive and today's game has the added feature of the return of Ex Dunston player Michael Laws who signed for Whitley Bay in the close season from Spennymoor and Whitley have also recently resigned Paul Robinson from Blyth Spartans. Dunston meanwhile have Lee McAndrew back from Spennymoor for his first home game since resigning, Dunston also have strengthened their squad this week, with the signing of Davy Scorer a defender from Consett.

Dunston returned to winning form last week against Ashington by 4 - 2 after a slight blip losing to Spennymoor in FA Cup and away to Benfield in the league after a previous run of 11 games unbeaten. Dunston fielded an unchanged team from their last fixture.

The game started with Whitley pushing forward and testing the Dunston defence and on 3 minutes Watling picked up a loose ball and had a shot which Connell saved.

Dunston tried. To get into the game and their first opportunity came on 5 minutes as Burrell put in a cross but Gladstone collected. 2 minutes later Watling again picked up a loose ball and shot over the bar from 35 yards. The game settled into a midfield battle with some loose balls breaking down moves from both sides.

On 15 minutes, McAndrew put in a cross to the back post were Laws got the header out for a corner as Bulford challenged.On 24, Robinson was played forward into his run and his shot from 20 yards went over the bar. Dunston replied through Ormston playing a through ball for Kanes' run but a last ditch challenge from McFarlane prevented a shot from Kane. A
minute later Burrell put in a cross which was cleared for a corner. Dunston got their goal on 37 minutes as Ormston flicked a Connell clearance onto Bulford who laid the ball off to McAndrew on a run into the box, McAndrew advanced and placed a shot into the Whitley net. 1--‐0 to Dunston.

Dunston now with the upper hand went in search of a second and almost got it on 42 as Coulson got header onto Burrell's cross which Kane turned and volleyed on target from 5 yards out, however Gladstone was equal to it and pushed the ball onto the post and away. 2 minutes later a Burrell shot was deflected and Gladstone was able to collect. Just before the half time whistle Halliday put in corner which Kane headed wide.

Half time score: 1--‐0

Dunston came out strong in the second half and put pressure on the Bay defence, on 50, Harrison played in McAndrew and his chipped shot just went past the far post. On 53, Bulford brilliantly held off his challenger and his poked shot was saved at full stretch by Gladstone, a minute later Halliday crossed and Laws headed clear as Bulford waited to pounce. Dunston still looking for a second goal came close on 63 as a Craggs flick on was met by Bulford who turned and volleyed on target but it was deflected for a corner. On 65 Bulford agin did brilliantly to turn his marker on the halfway line and advance towards the Bay box and only a last ditch effort knocking the ball for a throw in prevented a Bulford shot.
On 72 McAndrew cross to the back post was headed back across goal by Bulford to the incoming Craggs whose header went wide of the target from 6 yards out. A minute later a Dixon fre kick was met by the advancing Coulson at the back post and his shot was saved by Gladstone. Whitley almost got an equaliser as Bird picked up a loses pass in midfield he advanced towards goal and shot past Connell and the far post. On 75, Harrison played in McAndrew down the right wing his cross almost found Bulford but he was just unable to make the connection.

A minute later Bulford supplied the cross and Dixon headed over the bar from close range. Dunston remained in control of the game restricting Whitley to limited chances, Whitley in a last ditch effort to find a goal introduced Chow and it was not long before he was in the box causing trouble but only to be ruled offside. On 88 McAndrew went across the Whitley 18 yard box and was fouled by Smith, the referee allowed advantage as the ball fel to Bulford who shot well over the bar. Smith was fortunate to stay on the field as this was his second bad foul after being cautioned on 65 minutes.

Dunston remained in charge for the final minutes and the 6 minutes of added on time by the referee despite Whitley's attempts, but the nearest they came was a Laws' shot wide of the far post. Just before the final whistle Craggs played into Bulford , Bully shot was deflected clear of the target for a corner.

Full time score Dunston 1 Whitley Bay 0
In a game which promised to be competitive UTS deserved their victory as they proved
over the 96 minutes that they were the team who wanted the victory most and also had the players in McAndrew and Bulford to test the Whitley defence, fed with balls from Halliday and Harrison. There was room for improvement but this was an important victory in Dunstons push for the top of the league.

Dunston Man of the Match: Lee McAndrew after a quiet start, gradually came into the game and was a constant thorn and threat to the bay defence, creating opportunities for the Dunston attackers and his goal was literally the jewel in the crown. Others worth a mention were Dan Halliday, great first half, Luke Gilhespy controlled performance in defence and Andy Bulford who worked tirelessly up front.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell (Shaw (S) 45), Gilhespy, Coulson, Kane (Craggs 59), Ormston, Dixon, Bulfordp, McAndrew. Subs not Used: Wilson, Fenwick, Scorer.

Whitley Bay: Gladstone, Brooking, Reid, Ellison (Chow 84), Laws, Smith, McFarlane, Anderson, Watling (Godsmark 59), Robinson, Bird. Subs not used: Redford, Harris, McDonald.

Referee, Chris Ellis, Assistants, Jamie Milne, Matthew Gattis.

98 Match Pictures.

Dunston UTS--‐ next game away to Consett 14 October 2014 7:30 KO

No comments:

Post a Comment