Saturday, 29 November 2014

Dunston UTS 0 Ashington 1

Dunston Do All But Score...

29th November 2014
Northern League Division One
Dunston UTS 0
Ashington 1
Att 148

Dunston entertain Ashington in the EBAC Northern League at Dunston UTS Stadium. Ashington are having a mixed season and holding a mid-table position and Dunston will be looking to turn in a good performance like they did in early October when they won 4-2 at Ashington. The game sees the home debut for new signing Dan Smith and the return on the bench for Lee McAndrew who has recovered from his hernia operation, although Manager Billy Irwin is without the services of Gareth Williams with a leg injury picked up in the 1- 0 victory at Billingham Synthonia. 

Both teams settled quickly and Dunston got the first chance as Bulford ran into the box with the ball and shot diagonally across goal and wide of the far post on 2 minutes. Ashington replied immediately as Ex- Dunston forward Stephenson put in a cross which Halliday had to clear at the back post. On 4 Harrison put in a free kick into the Ashington box which was headed clear as far as Burrell who put in a shot on target which was saved by Grant. After 8 Burrell fed in Bulford down the left channel but his cross was deflected clear of the box and cleared. A minute later Burrell crossed and the defender cleared to new boy Smith who shot wide of the far post. On 11, Ormston played a good one two with Wilson before shooting just over the bar.

On 16 Halliday played in a low cross from a corner which was cleared. Dunston now were in command with Ashington rarely getting into the Dunston box. On 22, Burrell put in a cross to the back post but Smith was unable to connect, then Harrison put in a cross which Bulford headed just wide of the near post. Two minutes later Bulford crossed for Ormston who controlled and laid back to Halliday who put in a cross which was also cleared. On 30 Burrell shot come cross was turned around the post by Grant, and a minute later Bulford headed an Ormston cross wide of the target. Out of the blue on 33 minutes, Johnson fed Stephenson through the middle of the pitch he ran on out stripping his marker and slipped a shot past the advancing Connell and into the net, 1 – 0 to Ashington. On 36, Dixon fed Wilson who laid it back to Dixon whose shot went wide of the far post. On 40 Dunston’s Halliday was fouled near his own corner flag and then after the whistle was blown he was kicked off the ball by Oliver and was lucky only to receive a caution. On 43, Burrell put in a deft chip playing Bulford behind the defence but the ball just ran out of play, a minute later Dixon fed Bulford on the right but his shot went over the bar.

Half time score:  Dunston UTS 0  Ashington 1


Dunston came out fast again after the break and almost got the equaliser as Ormston headed over from a Burrell cross. On 47 Wilson fell in the area kept the ball under control, got up and laid the ball off to Burrell whose shot went just wide. A minute later a Harrison diagonal cross beat all but the Goal keeper Grant at the far post, before Smith put in across which was cleared by Christenson and then a Halliday long throw fell to Bulford who turned and shot over the bar.  On 52 Ashington got another opportunity as Christenson had a shot from 25 yards which Connell collected. On the hour mark, Bulford had a shot saved low down by Grant, on 65 Stephenson was sent off for a two footed challenge on Halliday in front of the dugouts touchline. On 77 a Wightman cross was headed back across goal by Coulson but Flynn cleared his lines, on 78 Smith drove a cross into the far post and it was cleared just past the post. On 79 another rare Ashington attack saw Burrell clear the danger by heading back to Connell. On 83 Harrison crossed from the left and Smith running in at the back post shot which Grant saved. Dunston were again applying the pressure as Smith had a shot blocked and then Wightman shot was saved by Grant, then Ormston crossed for Bulford who headed wide, on 88 Burrell put in a cross which went straight into Grant’s body.  
Connell made a long clearance which fell to Bulford who turned and shot but the Keeper again saved. On 90, McAndrew on a sub dribbled into the area and shot just over the bar. Two minutes into added on time Smith crashed a shot in which rebounded off the near post and was cleared. With Dunston pressing Johnson broke but his cross was deflected back to Connell, before Ormston blasted a shot wide of the target from a Burrell cross, followed again by Burrell cross which Bulford just failed to connect with the ball. After 6 minutes of added on time Ashington broke in centre of the field and Dixon committed a foul for which he was cautioned and Taylor received his marching orders for dissent, reducing Ashington to nine men for the last minute of the game which Dunston could not take advantage of.

Full time score: Dunston UTS 0  Ashington  1

In summary, Dunston team suffered the misfortune of not being able to breakdown a stubborn defence and score goals despite having a huge percentage of possession, in fact Ashington only had 2 attempts in the first half and when Dunston were pushing ford in the second half they only created 3 opportunities in the Dunston box. Although Dunston created chances their final shots were just not good enough and those on target were dealt with by Grant and his defence.
Dunston Man of the Match: Dale Burrell, back to form supplying ammunition up front for the forwards and slotted in well at full back when Halliday was taken off injured
Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday (Wightman 72), Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, Smith, Dixon, Wilson (McAndrew 72), Bulford, Ormston, subs not Used: Cattanach, Kane, Clark
Ashington: Grant, McGlen, Christenson, Ferrell, Flynn, Airey, Oliver (Downey 75), Shaw, Stephenson, Taylor, Johnson. Subs not used: Barnard, Davison, Egan, Walton
Dunston's next games:
Away to Whitley Bay, in 3rd Round FA vase on Saturday 6th December 2014, 3:00 pm KO
With any replay (if necessary) at Dunston on Tuesday 9th December, 7:30 KO

Andrew Bulford receives engraved bowl
from Malcolm James after today's game in
recognition of his 200th club goal scored against
Billingham Synthonia on the 26th November 2014.
(Click picture to enlarge)


No comments:

Post a Comment