Saturday, 6 December 2014

Whitley Bay 1 Dunston UTS 2

Dunston Reach 4th Round In FA Vase...

6th December 2014
FA Vase Round 3
Whitley Bay  1  
Dunston UTS  2 (Coulson, Harrison)

After defeating Guisborough Town in Round 2, Dunston were again drawn away, for the second year running, against past winners Whitley Bay in what again promised to be an entertaining tie with Whitley Bay starting to return to form after an indifferent start to the season and Dunston playing well to be in the top 4 in the league. Dunston have been recently struggling with injuries but had an almost full squad available with the exceptions of Craig Hodgson (leg) and recently signed Dan Smith (cup tied).
Whitley had former Dunston players, Brad Brooking and Michael Laws in their side while Dunston’s David Coulson and Gary Ormston were returning to Hillheads after a very successful term with Whitley Bay.   

The game started steadily with both sides vying for possession on a recently cut wet pitch which saw the ball bobbling around, ensuring both sets of players had to ensure their close control was on hand. Dunston got the first encounter into the area as Bulford chased a long ball into the box but Whitley keeper Gladstone was alert and cleared the danger on 6 minutes. Two minutes later Robinson unleashed a 20 yard shot which just went over the bar. Within another two minutes Connell picked up an injury which needed treatment after he collected a Bay high cross. On 14 minutes Stephen Harrison chased a ball to the by line which was being screened by McFarlane, just as the ball was going out Harrison poked the ball to the goal side and then shot home from a narrow angle to Give Dunston the lead.
On 18 Watling headed a cross wide of the target and a minute later a Watling low cross went right across the Dunston area and out for a goal kick. Dunston replied with a Harrison corner kick which also travelled across the goal and to safety. On 28, McAndrew got into the Whitley box but his lofted shot was weak and straight at Gladstone, however Gladstone fumbled and was immediately challenged by Coulson who was adjudged to have committed a foul. On 37, Bulford a pass was played through by Burrell on the edge of the box a clever turn resulted in space to get a shot in which just went over wide of the target.
Three minutes later Dunston went two goals up as Coulson received a lay back from Ormston and his 25 yard shot went to the side of Gladstone and inside the post. Dunston now had the scent and a Harrison cross to the back post was almost met by Bulford and the on 42, Harrison again played in a diagonal ball which hit Bulford and the ball fell to Kane whose positive shot was blocked. A minute later Kane ran from the wing and forced a corner. The corner taken by Harrison had to be cleared by a good header from Bay’s player manager Ryan under pressure from Dixon.

Score at half time  0 - 2

Whitley came out positive in the second half but it was not until 54 minute when Watling put in shot which curled away from the far post, Watling again was on the end of a free kick into the area but his header was deflected high and wide. On 58 Bird won a challenge on Halliday and crossed from the right wing but Watling’s shot was collected by Connell. On 60 minutes McAndrew got to the by line and crossed a ball which had to be headed clear as far as Harrison whose cross was headed wide by Dixon.
On 65 Kane played a through ball on to Bulford, Bulford’s shot was collected by Gladstone, Dunston were now back in the game and a Harrison cross was just too deep and went over the bar. On 70 minutes Harrison was caught out by a ball from Kempster who played it into Watling who was tripped by Harrison for a penalty. Up stepped Chow, who had been introduced as a substitute, to fire a penalty, with Connell picking the wrong way for 2 – 1 to Dunston. Bulford was immediately aiming to restore the two goal advantage as he received a ball on the edge of the box, turned his man and shot just over the bar.
Again on 75 Bulford repeated his turn on the edge of the box and again it went narrowly over the bar. Whitley were pushing on trying to get the equaliser but the Dunston defence was holding firm and restricting chances. On 80 minutes Burrell ran with the ball from the halfway line into the Whitley box, his pull back to McAndrew resulted in a shot just wide of the far post. As the game got closer to full time Dunston kept control of the ball and Whitley only created two more chances as a Kempster cross into the area which had to be cleared and then a late Watling shot was saved by Connell.

Score at full time  1 - 2

Dunston produced a solid team performance and deserved their win against a competitive Whitley side, they could have made it easier by scoring more goals in the first half, but overall despite the penalty they never really looked like losing the game with the Dunston defence holding solid and protecting Connell throughout the game.

Dunston Man of the Match:   – Andrew Bulford, Andy was a thorn in the Whitley defence throughout the afternoon, his running off the ball was creating spaces and chances, his control on the edge of the box created opportunities  which only narrowly went over the cross bar or just wide of the target. Worthy mentions for Harrison, Gilhespy and goal scorer Coulson in defence and the strong leadership and running of Michael Dixon

Whitley Bay: Gladstone, Brooking, McFarlane, Anderson, Ryan, Reid (capt), Godsmark (Kempster 55), Laws, Watling, Bird, Robinson (Chow 61) Subs not used: Dobson, Ellison, McDonald.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, Ormston, Kane (Wightman 79), Dixon (capt), Bulford, McAndrew. Subs not used: Clark, Wilson, Williams, Cattanach.

Next Game:
Jarrow Roofing away in the Ebac Northern League on Saturday 13 December 2014 3:00 pm KO




No comments:

Post a Comment