Saturday, 17 January 2015

Heanor Town 0 Dunton UTS 1

Another hard earned FA Vase victory for Dunston

17th January 2015
FA Vase 4th Round
Heanor Town 0

Dunston UTS 1
Att 397

Dunston travelled south to Derbyshire for their 4th round tie in the FA Vase to play Heanor Town of the Northern Counties East League. This equals Heanors' furthest venture in the FA Vase but they have produced a team which has recently won promotion and until Xmas was holding a top five position in their league but with a string of three recent defeats they are now occupying a respectable 9th position.

Dunston themselves have seen a drop of one position after two goalless draws to fellow top five sides in recent weeks. Dunston are enjoying their Vase cup run and the team are looking forward to progressing in this years competition. The Dunston squad travelled on the Friday afternoon and stayed overnight in Chesterfield were the team spent a relaxing evening together while the committee and some supporters had a good night out on the town enjoying the hospitalities of the Chesterfield town area.

Dunston Team Manager has a full squad to chose from, except Dan Smith (cup tied) and Craig Hodgson (long term leg injury) with Connell, Coulson, Bulford , Scorer and Williams all missing in some of the lead up games fit and raring to go especially after last weeks hard earned point against 3rd placed Marske. The weather was cold and crispy but the pitch was playable although it looked as though the surface would cut up and be energy sapping.

The first half started with Heanor pressing for an early advantage and in the first minute they won a corner which was headed wide by Gregory. Dunston showed their metal and on 3 they won a corner which was cleared from the Heanor area, then on 4, Bulford switched the play from left to right to McAndrew, who shot wide across the goal. Heanor then won a corner on 5 which Dixon cleared, on 14 Harrison played a ball into Dixon in the area, his first touch let him down and the chance was lost. Two minutes later, McAndrew crossed but both Dixon and Kane were unable to connect. On 17 a Hearon free kick from 30 yards out was cleared by Ormston. Another free kick by Hawes on 18, found Jones whose shot went over the bar.

On 21 Bulford was played through and pulled just outside the area but the referee was unsighted and his assistant did not help by flagging so, no decision was made. On 25 a cross by Jones was played only just too hard for Ricketts to apply the finish, two minutes later a Jones shot from 25 yards out was taken by Connell. On 29, another Jones corner, was played to Gregory whose shot from 18 yards went wide of the near post. Two minutes later McAndrew played in a low cross to the front past but the ball was deflected by Kane for a goal kick. Play continued up to half time without any further goal area action as both sides battled hard in midfield.

Half time 0 - 0

Heanor got the first chance of the second half on 46 as a Hall shot from 20 yards was blocked and cleared, then a Jones corner was met and headed just over the bar by Ricketts, Dunston replied with a Harrison free kick which was cleared. On 49, Kane was played in by Bulford his return cross found Bulford whose effort was saved by Deakin. Heanor replied with Debrouwer collecting on the edge of the area but Gilhespy was alert enough to block his effort. On 51, Bulford beat the offside trap, he sidestepped his covering marker, but was challenged as he shot an his effort was skewed sideways, within a minute Burrell played in Bulford, Bulford then steadied before shooting past the far post. On 61, Dixon shot from 35 yards and Deakin collected, on 63 a Harrison cross was cleared by Marriott, then a Halliday corner was met by Burrell at the back post and his header bounced off the cross bar, within a minute another low cross from Haliday was flicked goalwards by Bulford but it went straight to a grateful Deakin. At the other end, Ricketts had a header which Connell collected.

On 69 Dixon fed Bulford in the box, Bulford's shot was saved by Deakin. A minute later Harrison played in a corner which Deakin did well to collect under a challenge from Bulford. On 71, Ricketts had a shot which Connell saved. Dunston again pressed and a McAndrew cross was collected by Deakin, then two minutes later McAndrew was fouled 25 yards out and Harrison free kick went over the bar. On 79 Bulford collected a ball on the edge of the area, he turned quickly and shot wide of the near post. On 80 Dunston got the deciding goal as Dixon got a head to a defensive clearance playing the ball to Burrell who played a defence splitting ball through to Bulford, Bully advanced into the box and calmly placed a shot under the advancing Deakin and into the net.
Heanor tried to recover and Grantham turned and shot from 18 yards but it was saved by Connell on 85, a minute later Bulford had another shot and Deakin saved, Dunston than held out for the final minutes and 5 minutes of added time for a hard earned victory.

Full Time. Heanor Town 0 Dunston UTS 1  (Bulford 80 minutes)

This was a positive team performance needed in a good competitive cup tie between two evenly matched sides. Dunston won through sheer persistence and grit against a hard working team who never gave up. The game could have went either way, but Dunston gradually won the midfield battle which was made more difficult in an energy sapping surface.

Dunston Man of the Match: Michael Dixon, a great display of positive football throughout the game leading his side to a positive victory.

Heanor Town: Deakin Marriott, Shaw, Hawes, Henshaw, Strzyzeivski, Jones, Gregory (Grantham 71), Ricketts (avenger 77), Hall, Debrouwer (Capt), Subs not used: Naylor, Andrews, Baker.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Cattanach, Gilhespy, Kane, Ormston, Dixon, Bulford (Wilson 90), McAndrew. Subs not used: Cattanach, Wightman, Williams, Clark.

Match Pictures thx to Andy Nunn Can be viewed here

Report by Tom Clark.

Next game for Dunston is at away v Shildon on Wednesday 23 January 2015 7:30pm KO.

No comments:

Post a Comment