Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Dunston UTS 0 Shildon 1

Dunston fail to score and lose semi-final..

7th April 2015
EBAC Northern League Cup Semi-final
Dunston UTS 0
Shildon 1

Dunston were in league cup action against title favourites Shildon for this semi-final and a place in the final against Ashington or Newton Aycliffe. Shildon have had good league form and are involved in the final shake up for the title despite the huge hiccup last week when Dunston won at Dean Street 3-0 in a very competitive game.

Dunston come into this game as their only remaining chance to get honours for the seasons efforts which at times has promised a lot but gradually those promises faded. Tonight manager Billy Irwin is without club skipper Michael Dixon, and Stephen Harrison who are replaced by Craig Hodgson, and Ben Cattanach respectively.

The first half produced a competitive midfield game with defences on top but it was Dunston in the second minute who created the first chance on 2 minutes as Bulford headed on to McAndrew who advanced into the box under challenge and Graham came out to collect. Again on 12, McAndrew played in to Bulford, his cross in towards Ormston was just too hard to control. On 14 Doninger turned in the box but his shot was blocked and cleared, a minute laters Moore headed a corner goalwards which Connell claimed and on 17 Shildon's Hudson got on the end of a deep cross into the area at the back post, but it went wide of the far post.

Dunston were playing some good approach play and on 18, this ended with a McAndrew cross into the area being just too high for the advancing Burrell. On 19 Connell collected a cross from Harwood under challenge from Gruelich-Smith. After 30, Bulford played through to McAndrew who was just unable to control and shoot on target. Two minutes later Ormston fed McAndrew who went to the by-­‐line from where he pulled. Back a low cross which was cleared at the front post.

Another 2 minutes on and the closest chance came as Halliday put in a an in swinging corner to the front post which, Graham managed to punch clear. lthough Shildon had the greater possession, Dunston had the lion share of opportunities and on 41 Cattanach played in McAndrew into the box but Graham came out to collect as the half petered out to a goalless affair.

Half -time Score 0-0

The second half started with a bang as on 46, Doninger turned in the area and unleashed a shot which Connell possibly unsighted saw hit his post and bounce into the net off his back before he could react 1-­‐0 to Shildon. Dunston replied with a Halliday cross on 47 which found Burrell at the back post but his header on target was blocked, a minute later a deep cross into the Shildon area found Coulson who shot but Graham saved. On 50, Bulford got into the area and played in a low cross which was met by McAndrew whose poked shot was deflected off a defenders foot over the bar. Shildon replied with a Harwood free kick diagonally down the pitch to meet Doninger's run but he was unable to control.

On 57 Kane crossed but with Bulford poaching the ball was headed clear. Two minutes later, Jones volleyed a shot over the Dunston cross bar. Dunston were showing their eagerness for the game as Burrell won a ball in midfield, released it to Bulford who flicked on to McAndrew who cut inside his defender before shooting wide of the near post on 62. Two minutes later Burrell put in a low shot on target inside the far post only for Graham to save diving to his right and low down.

On 70, McAndrew put in a corner which was flicked on by a Dunston head and then cleared by a defender. Five minutes later Ormston headed on to Wightman, who in turn fed Bulford whose cross was cleared by a defender. On 82, a deep Halliday free kick was played out to Burrell whose return cross was cleared. Dunston re pressing hard and Shildon's defence was holding out. On 86 Ormstongot a header on target from a Burrell cross which Graham saved. A minute later Graham was on hand again to tip a Burrell pile driver over the bar. Dunston's efforts were over as Shildon regained composure and possession and played out the final minutes, right at the death Connell went into the Shildon area for a corner, which was cleared and it was only a desperate lunging challenge by Connell which prevented Shildon from playing the ball forward into the undefended Dunston area and goal

Final Score. Dunston UTS 0 Shildon 1

Dunston turned turned in a creditable performance against a good Shildon side, but lacked the necessary goals to win the game due to some good saves by Shildon's goalkeeper Graham and some stout defending by the Shildon defence.

Dunstons Man of the Match: Dale Burrell performed well all over the pitch and was desperately unlucky not to score on several occasions. The Dunston defence also played very well as a unit tho keep the fast running Shildon attack at bay.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Cattanach, Halliday, Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, McAndrew (Wilson 77 ), Hodgson, Ormston, Bulford, Kane (Wightman 67). Subs not Used: Williams, Scorer, Preen

Shildon : Graham, Harwood, Atkin, Moore, Craddock, Jones, Hudson (Rundle 86) odgson, Greulich-­‐Smith, Wood (Richmond 38), Doninger. Subs not used: Taylor, Finch.

Report by T.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment