Saturday, 18 April 2015

Dunston UTS 4 North Shields 0

Second half display sinks FA Vase Finalists

18th April 2015
EBAC Northern League Division 1
Dunston UTS 4
North Shields 0

Att 447.

Dunston entertain FA Vase Finalists North Shields at the UTS Stadium today for their final home league fixture. North Shields have had a tremendous season since being promoted from the second division last season, they are pushing for the league title if they win all their games and as previously stated they have qualified to play at Wembley in the FA Vase final against Glossop NE , who beat Dunston in the a quarter final replay.

Dunston now need three points to establish a minimum 6th place in the league but have seen their form stutter over recent games and their push for a higher league position has diminished.

Dunston had David Coulson out injured but a full squad available for the game with Gary Ormston and Stephen Harrison both available after missing the mid-week defeat at Bishop Auckland. 

In an edgy start by both sides Shields got the first chance in the 9th minute as a cross from Luccock was played in fortunately for Dunston just too far ahead of Bainbridge, again on 14 a cross by Luccock found Bainbridge but his shot was blocked and cleared. Dunston first effort occurred on 15 as Bulford played in Wilson, Wilson Put in a cross but it was cleared, on 18 Burrell crossed and Bulford met it with a header which had Bannon at full stretch clawing it clear of his goal. Two minutes later Carr shot over the Dunston bar from 35 yards out. On 30 minutes Harrison put in a cross which had the Shields defence in trouble; however they managed to get it under control and clear of the danger area.

A minute later Burrell crossed to the back post where Ormston was just unable to direct his header on target. Shields retaliated and Carr shot was blocked by Connell the rebound fell to Bainbridge but Connell was again able to block before Gilhespy cleared the Dunston area. A minute later Bainbridge played in Forster who shot wide of the target. Dunston replied on 35 with Bulford cleverly turning his marker and releasing a shot which was blocked and deflected for a corner. On 39, Wilson tried and effort from 35 yards which was just wide of the target.

As half time approached Bulford put in a cross from the left wing to Wilson whose header went over the bar before Carr had a volleyed shot blocked by Dan Halliday and the Bainbridge headed over the bar from a McKeown cross.

Half time score: 0 ‐ 0

After the break which saw Shields substitute Holmes replace Luccock, Dunston had to fend off an attack on the left by ex-Dunston Denver Morris, with Ormston clearing for a corner, but replied within a minute as Hodgson shot from 25 yards was parried clear by Bannon. A minute later and Dunston took the lead after a corner eventually found Ormston at the back post from where he knocked it into the net for 1-0 to Dunston. Shields replied with Holmes playing into Bainbridge who shot from 18 yards out went past the far post. On 53 Bainbridge again missed the target from inside the box this time over the bar.

Dunston again settled and on 58 Ormston had a shot from 18 yards saved by Bannon, and 2 minutes later UTS sub Dan Smith was played into the area, but shot wide of the goal, then Burrell had a 35 yard shot over the bar. On 66 minutes Dunston increased their lead as a Cross from Harrison found Ormston 6 yards out and he acrobatically shot into the net.

On 74 Bulford won the ball on the Halfway line out to the right by-line he immediately took on his marker and advanced towards the Shields area where the advancing Bannon was shaping to cover his goal however Bulford played a tremendous outside of the left shot curving around Bannon and into the net for 3-0 to Dunston.

On 78 Dixon had a shot wide of the target before Morris pulled a ball back to Wrightson who shot wide of the Dunston net. On 84 Morris had a shot saved by Connell and then Carr had a16 yard effort saved by Connell on 86 minutes. As the game approached full time Bulford headed a clearance onto Lee McAndrew who controlled and drilled a shot into the net under the despairing dive by Bannon for 4-0 to Dunston rounding off a good second half performance and denting Shields chance of league honours.

Full time score: Dunston UTS 4 North Shields 0

Dunston did not score in the first half despite some close calls, but in the second half after scoring within 3 minutes of the restart they pushed on and put in a performance which we have been waiting for all season. North Shields had times in the second half to attack but thankfully Shields top scorer had forgotten his scoring boots and his efforts never troubled Liam Connells goal. This was a great performance against a strong side although some of their players may have had their minds on their game in three weeks’ time.

Dunston Man of the Match: Dale Burrell, his all-round performance in this great team effort was the fuse to a good result, others worthy of mention were Andy Bulford who scored a tremendous solo goal and troubled the Shields defence all game, Luke Gilhespy who tracked and coped with the wily Bainbridge on most occasions and Craig Hodgson who worked hard in midfield after his long lay-off with his knee injury, however the full second half team performance was first class.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Harrison, Halliday, Burrell, Cattanach, Gilhespy, Hodgson (Williams 79), Dixon, Wilson (Smith 55), Bulford, Ormston (McAndrew 72) Subs not used: Clark, Kane.

North Shields: Bannon, Donnison (Elliott 65), Grey, McKeown, Parker, Coppen, Morris, Forster (Wrightson 72), Bainbridge, Carr, Luccock (Holmes 45). Subs not used: Hughes, Richardson.

View 73 Match Pictures HERE

Report by T.C.

Next Home Game: TBA New Season fixtures – Check the website in August 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment