Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Dunston UTS 0 Washington 1

Washington smash and grab to pinch points...

25th August 2015
Northern League Division 1
Dunston UTS 0

Washington 1

Dunston welcomed Washington to the UTS Stadium for the EBAC Northern League Division 1 game, their third home game of the season after 3 successful league encounters leaving them on 9 pts with a goal difference of 13. The Washington side are newly promoted from the second division and are also undefeated with 2 wins and a draw, so a competitive game was envisaged. Dunston manager Billy Irwin has 3 players, Pearson, Morien and Clark, from his squad unavailable due to holidays but is still able to start with a strong line up. 

Dunston were straight out of the blocks and in the first minute Bulford had a shot from inside the box which bobbled up and wide of the target. Washington called Connell into the action to collect the ball on 5, as Callaghan put a free kick into the area. Dunston immediately replied with a Francis free kick which was blasted into the wall, on 12 minutes Washington’s Fisher was played in by a long diagonal cross field ball and his cross had to be saved by Connell.

Again Dunston replied with a Smith header which was deflected on to the cross bar, followed by a Richardson shot from 20 yards out which bounced back off Carmichael chest where Swansbury cleared for a corner. On 20, Briggs picked up the ball at half way and quickly progressed towards the Washington box, 20 yards out his shot forced Carmichael to save. On 26, Tait turned his marker 20 yards out and shot wide of the far post. On 34 Gilhespy was forced to clear for a corner as Washington attacked the area, from the corner Connell had to punch clear a header which fell to Tait who hooked his shot over the bar.
A Connell clearance on 36 fell to Davison 40 yards out but he failed to shoot as Connell regained his ground and his side footed shot went wide of the target. On 37, Burrell played a ball into Bulford who headed on towards Smith but was cleared before Smith could shoot. On 40 minutes Fisher got space and unleashed a shot along the ground which forced Connell to make a diving save to his left, immediately following Francis played a cross field ball into Briggs which he was just unable to control under Carmichaels challenge. On 42 minutes a resilient Dunston defence worked hard to first block and then clear a Washington attack. The scores were level at half time 0-0 but Dunston were clearly ahead on possession but unable to break the deadlock.

Dunston continued to press in the second half and on 47, Halliday put a cross into the box which Carmichael claimed, 3 minutes later Francis with a free kick on the wide right crossed and Wilkinson was less than an inch short of directing the header towards goal, then Burrell put in a deep cross into the back post, Briggs headed back across goal to Smith whose header was cleared. On 54 Bulford glanced a header across the goal just wide of the far post. On 57 Smith won through 3 strong challenges and set off towards goal where Preston blatantly obstructed him and was cautioned.
On 59 Francis played in a shot which had to be saved by Carmichael. Washington having faced a period of defending replied on 65 as a Washington free kick was played sideways to Tait who shot over the bar. On 75 Burrell played a sideways free kick pass to Francis and his low shot from 20 yards struck Carmichaels left post and rebounded to Smith who was adjudged offside. On 81 Gilhespy produced a great tackle on Winn to prevent a shooting opportunity in the box, from the corner Swansbury headed over the cross bar.

On 85 Coghlan crossed a corner which found Tait at the front post who headed into the bottom corner of the Dunston net for the opening and deciding goal. Again on 86 minutes Gilhespy produced an important challenge breaking down a Washington attack against a depleted Dunston defence. On 90 minutes with emotions high Wilkinson blocked a challenge on the halfway line, Walton reacted to the challenge and the referee cautioned both players sending Walton off for a second bookable offence, Wilkinson was also shown a red card, by Referee Helen Conley, but this was quickly rescinded as she realised that Wilkinson had not been booked earlier. There were no further chances in the 4 minutes added on for stoppages and so Dunston were beaten in a game which was marred by some poor refereeing decision

Final Score Dunston UTS 0 Washington 1

On the field Dunston did not deserve to be beaten although their lack of goals in both halves did not help, Washington’s perseverance and resilience held out for them and they scored a well taken goal by Tait at an important late stage of the game. On this showing both sides will be in the scrap at the end of the season. Up front both Bulford and Richardson gave the Washington defence, who protected their goal keeper and goal well throughout the game, a run for their money.

Dunston’s Man of the Match: Dale Burrell, Dale worked tirelessly in midfield and pushing forward, ably assisted by Francis and Smith with Luke Gilhespy producing some good important challenges in defence.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Martindale, Halliday (Hodgson 85), Burrell, Wilkinson, Gilhespy, Smith, Francis, Richardson, Bulford, Briggs (Thear 69). Subs not used: Wilson, Hodgson.

Washington: Carmichael, Stewart, Callaghan, Preston, Swansbury, Tait, Fisher (Winn 60), Walton, Butler, Davison, Cassidy (Coghlan 48). Subs not Used: McGuiness, Jackson, Burton.

Attendance.. 209

Referee.. H. Conley.
Assistants.. D. Holmes, B. Stones

Report by T.C.

Next Home Game. (If we dont draw in FA Cup at Holker Old Boys)
EBAC Northern League - Dunston UTS vs Ashington on Saturday 5th September 2015  3:00pm KO

No comments:

Post a Comment