Saturday, 5 September 2015

Stalemate with the Colliers

5th September 2015
Northern League Division One
Dunston UTS 0
Ashington 0

Dunston entertained Ashington at Dunston UTS Stadium in their fourth home game of the season, Dunston after stating well in their first three fixtures come into this game having not scored in their last two league games losing 1‐0 at home to Washington and a draw away to West Auckland. Ashington have had a reasonable start to their season with 2 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses in the opening league fixtures.

Pearson is still on holiday and Manager Billy Irwin brings back Morien and Thear to replace Bulford and Briggs respectively, who are on the bench.

Dunston start well straight on the attack where Morien's shot is blocked out to Halliday whose low cross is cleared, on 5 a Halliday corner to the back post is just too strong for Hodgson to apply the finishing header. After a low Francis shot is saved by Grant, Ashington won a corner taken by Downey and headed over the bar by Dunn.

On 12, Thear pushed a ball forward for Morien whose shot was saved by Grant diving low to his right. Dunston were trying hard to break the deadlock and Ashington had a limited breaks as Williamson on 17 dribbled into the Dunston area only for his 2 crosses to be blocked by Halliday.

On 21 Hodgson was unable to redirect a Francis free kick onto the target. On 28 Thear won possession of the ball 40 yards out and his shot from 20 yards was just wide of the far post. After 36 Smith had a shot at the back post blocked across goal to Richardson who shot across the goal and past the far post. A minute later Richardson almost made amends as he sized on a loose ball and approached the out coming Grant. Grant spread his body well and managed to deflect Richardsons shot.

On 38 Dunston nearly went behind as a Williamson cross spun off Gilhespy's foot and past the far post. Dunston attacked again as Smith laid a ball off to Francis. 20 yards out, Francis shot past the near post.

On 42 Connell was called into action as Williamson broke clear of the Dunston defence, Williamson tried to go round him but Connell scrambled the ball out for a corner. 2 minutes before the halftime whistle Smith picked up on the half way line and ran towards the the Ashington defence his attempted cross was saved by Grant.

Half time score 0‐0

Dunston started the second as they did in the first on attack against a hard working Ashinton packed defence, on 49 Thear put in a cross which had to be cleared. A minute later Morien cleverly controlled a high ball into him, his turn created space for his shot which went just wide of the far post. On 53 Hodgson played into Morien whose shot was saved by Grant diving low to his right. On a rare Ashington attack Williamson again took on Halliday who restricted the opportunity to a 25 yard shot which went wide.
On 55 a free kick by by Atkin on the half way line was back headed over the Dunston bar and safety. Dunston rallied again and on 57 Halliday played a ball into Smith at the near post but the defender managed to clear, before Francis attacked from the right wing, unleashing a shot from 12 yards, an Ashington defender suspiciously blocked and cleared the ball, with the officials not giving the hand ball offence that even Ashington fans were disputing.

On 61, Johnson played in Williamson but the alert Haliday agin blocked the shot. At the other end Morien again created space to shoot on target only for a defensive block to prevent its path. In an effort to get the opening goal Dunston laid siege on the Ashington area and Francis had two  opportunities which went wide of the target, on 71 Thear played in a cracking shot which was deflected to Francis who also shot on target but again it was somehow blocked and cleared.

On 78 Francis collected a loose Grant clearance and attempted a shot from 45 yards which went a yard past the post with the keeper trying to regain his ground. On 79, Thear got around the back of the defence near the by line, his low cross was forced out for a corner. In a repeat of the Washington game, Ashington got a chance late in the game fortunately for Dunston Grey shot wide of the target. Not finished as the game went into added on time Thear played a cross over to Briggs whose shot went over the bar.

The referee then brought the game to a close as a 0‐0 draw much to the frustration of the Dunston management and supporters.
Full Time Dunston 0 Ashington 0
A frustrated and Dunston side came up against a resilient Ashington side who succeeded in preventing Dunston from scoring, The Dunston side did everything but score and put a great deal of effort into their cause to no avail. Teams are aware of the Dunston ability to make chances and are setting their stall out to prevent them scoring. The Dunston side need to contiunue in the task and goals will surely come, however the record now shows that we have lost five points despite only conceding one goal in six league games.
Dunston Man of the Match: Liam Thear --‐ Liam worked hard to provide the Dunston forwards with opportunities while ensuring he did not shirk his defensive duties, Dan Smith also provided a useful display in a game which Dunston controlled for well over 80% of the possession.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Burrell, Halliday (Martindale 87), Hodgson (Briggs 82), Wilkinson, Gilhespy, Smith, Francis, Richardson, Morien, (Bulford 77), Thear. Subs not used: Clark, Dixon.

Ashington: Grant, Atkin, Weldon, Dunn (Grey 57), Harmison, Grieve, Moore, Downey,
Williamson, Kanda (Bell 57), Johnson. Subs not used: Race, Quinn, Thompson.
Referee.. Sam Packer
Assistants.. Craig Galbraith and Derec Wade.
Attendance 262
Match Pictures.. Can be viewed here >>

Report By T.C.

Next Home Game: v Newcastle Benfield League, Tuesday 15 September 2015, 7:30 pm KO.

No comments:

Post a Comment