Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Dunston overpower Durham and score 3

8th September 2015
Durham City 0
Dunston UTS 3
Ebac Northern League Division 1

Dunston on their travels again on the short distance down the A1 to the Durham City 
all weather pitch. Durham have had a reasonable start to their season and if they  won could move above Dunston by a point so a competitive game was expected especially with Durham having the advantage of their experience of the all weather pitch.

Dunston again have injury issues, work and holidays making Morien, Clark and Dixon not available for selection, but welcomed Michael Pearson back from holiday on the bench. Dunston still named a strong side to start the game.

Durham came out of the starting blocks and they won a corner on 2 minutes which was played across the goal and past the far post, Dunston eased their way into the game and on 6 Francis played in Briggs who crossed and the fortunate Wilkinson saw his deflection hit goalkeeper Flynn on the shoulder before it was cleared, a minute later Smith had a shot from 20 yards which Flynn saved and the on 9 Smith had a shot reflected wide.

On 10 Dunston scored after Wilkinson poked a loose bouncing ball into the net after Hodgson met and headed a Francis corner at the back post. Durham recovered on 14 as Patton picked up a chipped forward ball and tried to chip Connell but Connell was equal to it, on 18, a Durham attack was foiled by a Gilhespy header and the Durham No 8 Bakhiti was unable to cross the ball back across goal.

On 21, Fairley took a free kick but Lynch was unable to make contact at the back post. On 23 Briggs blocked a Bakhiti shot deflecting it for a corner.

Dunston rallied on 28 as Briggs went down the right wing and crossed to Francis who shot wide, a minute later Richardson played a ball into Francis whose shot was well saved by Flynn.

Dunston were well into the game now as Durham resorted to the long, hopeful ball upto Patton, on 37 Thear made a great tackle in the area and then the rebounded shot went for a corner. Dunston looked to be 2 goals up as Francis followed in a defensive error between Flynn and Wardle his outside of the right foot shot at the empty goal hit the post.

Half Time score 1‐0 to Dunston.

Dunston were straight on the attack from the kick off as Briggs on the right shot a
cross the Durham goal and just wide of the far post. A minute later, Briggs went close again before Bakhiti hit a shot which Halliday watched go safely out of play. On 52, Bakhiti headed over the bar from a Patton cross. On 57, Thear had a shot from 20 yards go wide of the near post.

Two minutes later Francis fed a ball into Briggs who steered a shot past Flynn and into the net for 2‐0 to Dunston. Well on top now Dunston were playing some good football and on 64 Richardson got through and poked a shot wide of the far post. On 72, Halliday played a cross field diagonal free kick across to Thear whose low cross was saved by Flynn. On 76 Wardle for Durham was sent off for a foul on Richardson as he was the last man and prevented a goal scoring opportunity.

The free kick taken by Thear was something special as it was struck past the wall and into the top right hand corner of the net off the cross bar giving Flynn no chance and Dunston a 3‐0 lead. With a comfortable lead and an extra man Dunston, built up the pressure but were unable to break through although Richardson 78 headed over and then Briggs shot rebounded to Francis whose shot was also blocked on 85.

Final Score Durham City 0 Dunston UTS 3

Dunston played very well on the all weather surface after settling down to the pace of the game, the early goal, lacking in previous games ensured the confidence of the side.

Durham resorted to the long ball upto their forwards but met a resolute Dunston defence despite the odd misjudged bounce. Dunston played their best football of the season playing in balanced formation with Francis having a roaming role up front.

Dunston Man of the Match: Matty Briggs, Matty recovered his preseason form and gave an outlet on the wing, his work rate up and down the field helping his defence and orwards all game. However this was a good team performance with all players having good games and Connell rarely called into action.

Durham City: Fynn, Munro, Allen, Wilkinson, Wardle, Harley (Okus 70), Bakhiti, Patton,
Wallace (Shaw 63), Lynch (Lawrence 63) Subs not used: Crathorne, Carr.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Martindale, Halliday, Hodgson, Wilkinson, Gilhespy, Briggs,
Francis, Richardson, Smith, Thear. Subs not used: Bulford, Clark, Burrell, Pearson.

Next home game: Newcastle Benfield in EBAC Northern League on 15 September 2015,
7:30pm Kick Off. 

Report by T.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment