Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Dunston UTS 2 W. Auckland 1

Gritty Dunston triumph against West...

26th August 2014
Northern League Div 1
Dunston UTS 2 (Coulson 2)
West Auckland 1

Dunston welcome West Auckland for the EBAC Northern League Division 1 game, West have started the league season in a mixed fashion with 2 four nil victories and 2-1defeat to neighbours Bishop Auckland but it more the recent loss of their manager Peter Dixon that is grabbing the highlights, Dixon has led West to two Wembley performances in the last three years and also to high Northern League positions, building a strong squad of players. He will be a hard act to follow and the appointment of current Celtic Nation owner Steve Skinner as temporary manager, is also an action to be monitored. Dunston after a couple of defeats are now on a winning run of three games with one FA Cup and two league games to their account, although the close proximity of the games is taking its toll with niggling injuries to players especially on Saturday when both Steven Shaw and Craig Hodgson picked up knocks, although the availability of Gary Shaw and Jonny Wightman will be welcomed in what promises to be a competitive game if recent history prevails.

The game started with both teams vying for control of the midfield and opportunities were restricted until the 10th minute when Francis took a free kick into the Dunston area aimed at the back post, the ball went harmlessly clear of the goal. on 11 Dan Halliday had a similar free kick for Dunston and the ball this time went wide from a Wilson header. A minute later ex Dunston player Pattinson put in a cross which had to be cleared by Coulson, on 15, Briggs had a shot from 18 yards out which went over the bar. After 25 minutes Briggs played a ball in Moffat but the alert Gilhespy recovered and cleared the danger. Two minutes later West took the lead from a long free kick taken by Francis deep into the Dunston area Burrell's attempted header only diverted it over Connell and into the net 1-0 to West. On 30 Briggs again, put in across into the run of Moffatt and Connell did brilliantly to stop it going into the net.
On 32 Burrell placed a free kick from the centre circle into the West area to Halliday and his header was deflected for a corner. from the corner taken by Burrell Coulson rouse at the back post to head home the equaliser. The West centre half Galpin was cautioned for continuous dissent after the goal. West retaliated with another Francis free kick which Burrell headed clear. On 40 Moffat forced another save from Connell which rebounded to Richardson who shot which deflected off Halliday and clear of the goal.

On 41 Fenwick chased a long ball into the West area, the West keeper came out but was beaten by the bounce, Fenwick got control but Lowson was back to parry his shot which fell to Wilson whose shot was blocked by a defender. Just before half time on 44 Steven Shaw fed a square ball into the run of Burrell whose shot from 20 yards went just wide of the target. A minute into added on time Burrell put a free kick into the back post were Halliday got up well to head on target, however the referee ruled Halliday had fouled in his attempt. 
Half Time score 1 - 1

The second half started as the first as a tussle in midfield and on 52 Kane had the first opportunity to shoot but it was wide of the target, West replied with a free kick on the edge of the Dunston area but the shot by Francis was wide. On 61 Bulford on as substitute for Wilson had a25 yard shot saved by Lowson, dolled a minute later when Fenwick had an 18 yard shot saved. Dunston were gradually getting on top after West had had the better of the game in the first half. On 65, Bulford had a volleyed shot blocked by Wilkinson, the ball went out to Halliday whose return cross just went over the bar at the back post. On 75, Halliday put in another cross which Lowson took well.
On 79, Briggs picked up a loose ball and swung a shot come cross, into the area, the ball took a deflection from Wilkinson and out of play. a minute later Burrell played a long ball to Bulford who shot was saved by Lowson. On 81 Burrell took another core which curled into the back post where once again Coulson dispatched a header into the goal past the West defenders on the line for 2-1 to Dunston.  
On 85 Bulford was fouled on the edge of the area by Galpin, Bulford took the kick and Lowson did well to save the low driven shot. On 86 at the opposite end Knight had a free kick from 25 yards but the wall did its job and blocked it. as full time approached West set up an assault on the Dunston goal with 3 shots from, Ward, Knight and Francis all on target being blocked by some desperate defending particularly from Halliday who blocked two, 2 minutes into added on time another West free kick was saved by the alert Connell. In the final minutes Halliday played Bulford through but his attempted volley went over the bar after which the referee brought the game to an end. 
Final Score  Dunston 2 West Auckland 1

West got control in first half and deserved their opening goal, however Dunston were gritty and fought back and got their equaliser possibly against the run of play. in the second half it was Dunston who got control and got their deserved goal with a second superb header from David Coulson again from a Dale Burrell corner. Dunston had to weather a big West push for the equaliser while still producing opportunities for a third goal. In the end it was a valuable victory for Dunston against a strong West side.
Dunston Man of the Match: David Coulson who aside from his very good defensive display alongside Luke Gilhespy also got forward to produce 2 great goals which Dunston needed. Good. Performances in the second half from the whole team especially Steven Shaw, Andy Bulford and Dan Halliday.
Dunston UTS: Connell, Burrell, Halliday, Shaw (S),Coulson, Gilhespy,  Kane (Wightman 65), Dixon (Cpt), Fenwick, Wilson (Bulford 51), Ormston. Subs not used: Shaw (G), Hodgson, Burns.
West Auckland: Lowson, Pattinson, Gibson, Wilkinson, Galpin, Close, Briggs, Francis, Moffat (Laidlaw 45)  (Knight 65), Richardson (Ward 65), Garthwaite. Subs not used: Knight, Byrne, Vipond, Ward, Laidlaw
Referee. D. Chapman
Assistants.. K. Howe and M. East.

Match pictures can be viewed here

Report by T.C.

Next game, Saturday 30th, FA Cup, Dunston UTS v Durham City
Sunday 31st Charity Match, kick off 2:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment