Wednesday, 19 November 2014

North Shields 2 Dunston UTS 0

Bainbridge brace beats Dunston ....

19th November 2014
Northern League Division 1
North Shields 2  

Dunston UTS  0
Att 290

Dunston travelled to newly promoted North Shields for their EBAC Northern League game. The game is a top of the league clash between the current third and fourth top teams after Marske jumped up the league last night with their 6 - 2 away victory at Bishop Auckland. Manager Billy Irwin was still without injured Connell, Halliday and Scorer; Cattanach was also unavailable and the long term injuries of Hodgson and McAndrew also continued, but he was able to field a strong side for the game.

The game stated cautiously with both sides vying for possession in midfield and Dunston’s first real chance came on 5 minutes as Williams played a deep diagonal pass for Kane on the right wing but he lost control of the ball and the chance did not materialise. On 8 Burrell played a neat interchange with Ormston before laying ball across to Burrell under a challenge on the edge of the box, the ball fell to Dixon whose shot was blocked and cleared. On 9 minutes Morris for North Shields received a ball from Bainbridge he jinked his way into space and shot just wide of the near post.

After 15 minutes a Harrison free kick from 35 yards out was collected by Bannon, 5 minutes later McKeown fed Bainbridge who turned and shot over the bar from 20 yards. Lancaster the Shields full back went on a run into the Dunston area but was well marshalled by Gilhespy and the danger was cleared. Dunston replied with a Williams free kick into the Shields area which was headed across goal by Dixon to Burrell who was just unable to get his shot in. On 29 Kane put in a cross which found Bulford whose header was saved by Bannon.

On 37, Bainbridge broke through the Dunston defence and entered the box only to be fouled by Gilhespy, for which he was cautioned and Bainbridge placed the penalty kick into the bottom right hand corner of the net just past the diving Clarks outstretched arms, 1 – 0 to Shields. Dunston reacted immediately and won a corner taken by Burrell into the near post, Dixon unleashed a shot which was again deflected for another corner. On 42, Bulford laid a ball out to Burrell who shot wide of the near post. Two minutes later Dunston equalised only for the Ormston effort to be ruled offside after a Coulson header had been pushed out by Bannon.

Half time score: 1 - 0

North Shields came out strong in the second half and Wrightson, on 48 minutes, had a shot blocked, from the rebound, Bainbridge’s effort was also blocked by Coulson at the front post. Following a short delay for treatment on Gilhespy who had collided with Clark in the attack, Shields were more alert for the incoming corner, from which a Bainbridge header went powerfully into the net for 2 – 0 to North Shields.

Dunston retaliated again and put the Shields area under pressure as Wightman shot low from the left, the ball rebounded out to Kane whose goal bound effort was somehow flicked over the bar. On 52, Coulson met a corner and his effort hit the post and rebounded out, a minute later Burrell had a shot saved by Bannon before Wightman put in a cross which Harrison was unable to direct on target. On 57 Shields created a chance as Luccock fed Bainbridge who laid off to Morris from whom he got the return pass only for the shot to go wide. On 60, Parker for Shields met a corner which Clark saved.

Play then continued as a midfield battle as the defences held strong, North Shields had a chance on 76 as Richardson blasted a shot on target , Clark did well to save and clear. A the rain came down heavier the frantic midfield battle continued with defences standing firm and the only further opportunity fell to Dunston as O’Reilly got a shot in wide of the far post just before the referee called an end to the game

Full time score: North Shields 2 Dunston UTS 0

In summary, Dunston found themselves unlucky to be a goal down at the break after controlling the North Shields fast forward line breaks except on one occasion and then to have a goal chalked offside a few minutes later. Shields came out strong in the second half and increased their lead before Dunston were once again unfortunate not to reduce the deficit in a busy period in the Shields box. This was a game that the opposition again made the most of their chances while especially in the first half Dunston did not.

Dunston Man of the Match: Michael Dixon, a powerful effort in midfield alongside Burrell and Ormston against a fast flowing organised Shields side.

North Shields: Bannon, Elliot, Lancaster, Richardson, Parker, Coppen, Morris (Forster 59), McKeown, Bainbridge (Holmes 85), Wrightson, Luccock (Carl 78). Subs not used:

Dunston UTS: Clark, Harrison, Williams, Burrell, Coulson, Gilhespy, Kane (Wilson 65), Ormston, Dixon, Bulford (O’Reilly 77), Wightman. Subs not Used: Harbottle, Preen

Referee, Rebecca Welch, Assistants, David Pill, Peter Osgood.
Dunston's next game:
Home game to Guisborough Town in the 2nd Round FA Vase Cup on Saturday 22nd November 2014 3:00 KO

No comments:

Post a Comment