Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Dunston UTS 0 Whickham FC 0

4th August 2015
Memorial Charity Match.
Dunston UTS 0
Whickham FC 0
Attendance 183

Dunston entertained Whickham at the UTS for the annual charity game to remember John Farrey and Matty Annan with proceeds going to the British Heart Foundation. Once again Manager Billy Irwin has to shuffle his squad because of minor injuries to, but is also able to rest Luke Gilhespy, Dan Smith and Matty Briggs with Michael Dixon available for match practice and Liam Connell returning from his wedding in Mexico.

The game started in bright sunshine on a beautifully prepared pitch and both sides were showing that they were up for a challenge. Whickham created the first chance as Wilkinson had to head clear a dangerous cross from Fitzpatrick, Dunston replied immediately with Pearson putting in a low cross which was cleared, before Bulford had a shot cleared.

On 5 a Halliday throw in was cleared for the first corner which was headed over the bar by Wilkinson. Five minutes later Collins crossed into the Dunston area was cleared at the far post by Francis as Swanston closed in. On 13, Thear put in a strong low shot which Mordey did well to save, 2 minutes later Burrell headed a corner kick from Francis across the Whickham goal.

Play settled into a midfield challenge and Dunston almost took the lead as Thear played a neat one two with Morien, ending with a shot just past the far post. On 33 Whickham had a chance as Brown headed over from a Moulding free kick, again on 44 Pattison had a shot from 20 yards out just wide of the target. Dunston had a final chance of the half as Francis played in Morien on 44 who played a ball across to Bulford 4 yards out but his attempt went wide of the target, so it remained 0-0 at half time.

Dunston made changes at half time including the first run out of the season for Michael Dixon. On 46 Francis played a ball to the back post just too high for the incoming Dixon, Whickham replied with Fitzpatrick moving into the Dunston area and shooting across the Dunston goal. Again on 55 Fitzpatrick received the ball from Swanston and shot over the cross bar. On 58 Thear received a ball from Dixon and shot over the bar, 3.minutes later a low cross from Wilson saw Thear shoot wide of the target. On 65 Fitzpatrick tried to lob Connell but Connell stretched up and pushed the ball out to Harrison who was able to return it into Connells’ hands, a minute later Fitzpatrick had a shot which was inadvertently deflected wide of the far post off Gilhespy.
A minute later a Peareth cross was saved low down by Connell to his right. On 75, Harrison crossed just too high for Morien to direct his header on target which was deflected for a corner, before Fitzpatrick was played through but an alert and brave Connell came out and collected the ball off his legs. On 80 a deep cross by Francis had to be cleared by Wickham’s Fraser, a minute later Burrell fired in a shot which Mordey saved Just before Full time Broadhead was played into the block in front of goal, his shot missed the target this was followed on 89 minutes by a Burrell shot which was partially blocked as it was deflected to Mordey.

Final score Dunston 0 Whickham 0

Money Raised.. £650:00

This was a low key performance for the spectators as both sides seemed subdued or thinking about the first game of the season; although chances were developed the forwards from both sides seemed to lack the scoring touch. One bright spot for Dunston was the return of Michael Dixon for much needed match practice.

Dunston UTS: Connell, Pearson (Dixon 45), Halliday, Burrell, Atkinson, Martindale (Gilhespy 45), Harrison, Francis, Morien, Bulford (Wilson 45) Thear. Subs not used: Clark, Smith, Briggs.

Whickham: Mordey, Moulding, Rook, Brown, Fraser, Peareth, Collins (Broadhead 70), Jelley (Naisby 70), Swanston (Aiston 60), Fitzpatrick, Pattison (Oman 85) Subs not Used: Atkin. Hay

Referee.. Adam Herczeg
Assistants.. Jonny Urwin and Alex Clark

Match Pictures... Click Here

Next Game, League Fixture, 8th August 2015, away to Bedlington Terriers, Kick off 3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment